Where We Started

© 2017 D.S. Little
All rights reserved. No portion of this book may be reproduced in any form without permission from the author, except as permitted by U.S. Copyright law.
************

Odell

When I went to Otto's party that night, the last person I expected to see was Danielle. One of my teammates gave me a heads up that she was there, but it wasn't until I saw her that I actually believed it.

"I-I'm not feeling too good." She responded with a look of uncertainty in her eyes.

"Watchu doing here?" I asked her outright.

"I live here now."

"At Otto's crib?" I asked ready to find my boy and beat his ass.

"No, I have my own place in Rutherford."

"You made the move." I said with surprise because I really was.

After we broke off things in San Diego I assumed she would change her mind about moving to the east coast.

"Gloria Nilson called me last month and offered me a position with their agency."

"Congratulations." I told her not sure what else to say about it.

"I hope you don't mind me being here. Chanel invited me to Otto's party to get me out of the house," she paused and looked away then back at me. "She said that we were going to eventually run into each other and that we might as well get it over with."

"She was right about that." I agreed. "Why didn't you lemme know you moved?"

"I tried to call...but I guess you got a new number..." she said.

"And what were you gonna say if I did answer?" I asked catching her off guard.

"What?" She looked at me with confusion.

"Tell me whatever it is you were gonna say if you had reached me." I pushed.

I saw her take a deep breath and blow it out. Then she looked back at me.

"Dell, I love you. I know a lot of what I do and what I've done doesn't make sense...but it doesn't take away from how I feel about you." I continued to listen as she took a bold step closer to me. "I don't wanna be with Chris or anybody else...I only want you."

"We don't have anywhere to go?"

"What?" Her eyes widened with confusion.

"Before...you were the one who kept telling me that because of where we started, that we had nowhere to go."

"I didn't think we did." She said lightly.

"But you do now?" I asked her skeptically.

"I do." She nodded. "What I felt for you...what I feel for you...I've never felt with anyone else. Not even Chris."

I rubbed my beard. "As much as I appreciate you telling me all of that, I don't know what you want me to do with that information."