Trying To Protect Him

© 2017 D.S. Little
All rights reserved. No portion of this book may be reproduced in any form without permission from the author, except as permitted by U.S. Copyright law.
************

Danielle

We had been through enough, I reverted back to old Danielle for the night. I didn't want to argue with Odell or fight over Chris, it was a cycle that was becoming old between us. Christian was my past and Odell was my future. So my answer was to make love to him, to love away all of his concerns and insecurities but things were different this time as we laid in my bed side-by-side with our fingers linked.

"Do you love me Mya?" I heard him ask gently.

The moonlight shining in my room cascaded a glow across his beautiful face.

"You know I do." I responded looking at him.

"Then why do you keep tryna protect him?"

"I didn't think I was." I said defensively.

"No matter what he does, you make excuses for him."

"I don't make excuses for him, I just know everything about him so I know what he's thinking."

"You need to stop doing that," he returned, "you aren't with him anymore. You are with me."

I unlinked our fingers and turned my body to him. "Since we are going back there, why did you sleep with Lais?" I left out the fact that it was Elaine who had told me that information after Odell had admitted it to Vic.

He got quiet. "I don't know," he shrugged. "I just did it." He looked at me, "we weren't together."

"You didn't think sleeping with her would hurt me, especially after what happened while we were together."

"I didn't know if there would even be an us anymore..."

"Do you still deal with her?"

"No, I don't."

I got up from the bed and slipped on my robe, he pulled me back down on the bed.

"I would have never slept with her if we were together." He said staring me in the eyes. I just nodded not knowing whether that statement was true or not. "Where are you going?"

"To get some water, you want some?"

"All I want is more of you so hurry back." He smiled mischievously.

As I was pouring water in a glass there was a knock at the door. It was still early, almost 9pm so it could have been anyone.

I checked the peephole and saw Shannon on the other side. I debated whether to open it or not before finally opening it. She looked as if she had been crying.

"I know what I did was fucked up, but you didn't have to get me fired from my job." She said storming into my apartment. "How am I supposed to make ends meet?"

"I didn't get you fired from your job." I told her with confusion. "But no one can blame me if I did."

"I have been working at the Academy for six years and all of a sudden I lost my job for no reason at all!" She shrugged. "For the past week I've been putting my resume in everywhere and nobody is calling me back."

"I don't know why you're here. I didn't have anything to do with your job." I began to wonder if this was Odell's doing. "But after what you did to me." I returned, "you have the nerve to even be standing here right now saying anything to me, you tried to ruin my life!"