Let Her Go

© 2017 D.S. Little
All rights reserved. No portion of this book may be reproduced in any form without permission from the author, except as permitted by U.S. Copyright law.
************

Christian

I couldn't help myself I had to get Danielle alone, I had to get her to see that we were supposed to be together. The moment that she opened the door to her apartment and I saw her face I kissed her. I had been wanting to do that since the moment I saw her at the Farmer's Market.

Someone once said, 'if you want something very badly...set it free. If it comes back to you, it's yours forever. If it doesn't, it was never yours to begin with.'

I never loved anyone as much as I loved Dee and I wasn't about to just let her go without a fight.

"Stop!" Danielle said trying to push me off of her but I was stronger than her and I kept her pressed against the wall.

"You and me Dee...right...you and me..." I said to her trying to get her to remember the words we always said to each other. "Dee...look at me." Her eyes met mine, "Have I ever told you that I love you?"

"No, Chris it's not about us anymore." She said her voice firm as if she was unmoved by anything I just said to her. "Go home to your girlfriend."

"This is where I'm supposed to be Dee." I admitted to her. "With you, not with anybody else..."

"Chris, let me go!"

"Dee." I pleaded with her.

There was another knock on the door and I looked at her. I wanted it to be Odell on the other side. l've wanted to knock his ass out since the moment he made that offer in Vegas. I felt like I could kill him with my bare hands.

We were still near her door and I reached for it bypassing Dee trying to stop me. I didn't even care to look through the peephole.

"Chris, stop!" She said pulling at my arm trying to prevent me from opening up the door.

I swung the door open, but it wasn't Odell standing in front of us, it was Shannon and before I could say a word to her she was windmilling her arms at me pushing me back inside of the apartment.

"I knew your ass would be here!" She said screaming at me while continuing to hit me.

I tried to dodge her hits and grabbed her arms to hold them still.

"Shannon, chill the fuck out!" I yelled at her.

"You are such a liar," she said huffing, "get off of me." She struggled to get out of my arms but I held on to her tightly.

I felt Dee tug at my arm, "let her go Chris."

I looked at her like she was crazy, because if I let her go she was going to go off again and I was the one taking the hits, not her.

"Let. Her. Go." Danielle stressed more firmly now pulling my arm.

I released her and Shannon smacked me so hard that the entire left side of my face immediately began to sting. I bit down on my lip and when she tried to hit me again I caught her hand.

"I'm over Dee, Shannon," Shannon began to mock in what was supposed to be my voice, her chest was heaving up and down and tears were running down her eyes. "I wouldn't do anything to hurt you..." She continued saying my words around her tears.