Don't Get Too Comfortable

© 2017 D.S. Little
All rights reserved. No portion of this book may be reproduced in any form without permission from the author, except as permitted by U.S. Copyright law.
************

Danielle

"I don't understand why we have to go to dinner for you to sign the papers Christian." I recalled telling my soon-to-be-ex-husband.

"We've been together for over a decade Dee and we still have things we need to say to each, why not over dinner." He told me. "You don't just throw away that kind of history as if it meant nothing. We have to at least find some neutral ground as friends."

"Christian..." I remembered still being hesitant about it all.

"Dee, just go to dinner with me," he continued to push, "if you tell me then that you still want this divorce I will sign the papers right then and there."

So here I was, sitting in our favorite restaurant, 1500 Ocean. It had indoor and outdoor seating with a breathtaking view of the ocean and at night it played live music from different genres depending on the night.

We had only ever been here a few times because money had been tight, but on special occasions when we wanted to celebrate something this was our spot. I had walked into the lion's den because this place held so many memories for me and for us.

How did I let him talk me into this!

We were supposed to be meeting at 8pm but it was a few minutes after and he hadn't arrived yet. His last text said he was on his way so I waited.

I am giving him five more minutes and then I'm out. I thought to myself.

The next time I looked up Christian came walking in my direction followed by the host looking like a million dollars-literally! My breath caught in the back of my throat as he approached the table carrying a dozen yellow roses, my favorite.

He was really pulling out all the stops tonight.

Once he reached me, I noticed the host couldn't stop looking at him either. I wanted to tell her about herself but that would have given Christian mixed messages. He thanked her for escorting him to the table and then he bent down to kiss me on the cheek and handed me the flowers.

This feels so weird.

"You look beautiful." He said while sitting in the chair across from me.

I looked down at my one sleeved multi-colored dress as if I didn't already know what I was wearing. "Thank you, you look nice too."

"Thank you."

There was a moment of silence between us as we both just surveyed each other. It was old school R and B night and the band was playing a classic Musiq Soulchild song. Internally, I couldn't help but hum along with the words. The male singer was literally putting his foot into the song and all the others, he had a serious voice! 

"I'm sorry I was late, I got caught up at work and then traffic."

"It's okay, I know how it is." I said determined to keep this meeting positive so he would just sign the papers and we both could move on. "How is teaching? I never knew you were interested in going into education." I said still surprised by the career he was now in.