Chapter 21

A/N: Song has nothing to do with this chapter, but I like it. So I'm putting it here! Hehe

Continue!

**Nick's POV**

I rolled over on to my side and groaned. I just couldn't sleep. I grabbed my phone.

"Nick?" Katrina asked from the other end of the phone. "It's three in the morning. What's up?"

"I can't sleep." 

"Shocker." She sighed. "Have you tried counting sheep?"

"Yes."

"Warm milk?"

"Yes."

"Have you tried everything you could possibly think of?"

"Yes." I sighed

She yawned. "You gotta get some sleep man. We head to an extremely haunted location in a few days."

"I'm trying. But the nightmares."

She sighed and I heard her moving around. "Nick, Saige and Griffin are fine. I finally believe something has attached itself to you and is making you think these things."

"Maybe. But how do I know that they're fine?"

She sighed. "If something was to happen someone would tell you."

"They hate me."

"They would still tell you. Now try getting some rest. I'll call you in the morning."

"Okay." I said as she ended the call. 

I knew I wasn't getting any sleep so I got up and made my way down the stairs. The house was quiet. I didn't like this quietness. I felt so alone.

I pushed open the basement doors and walked down the stairs. While I was up, I might as well review some evidence from our last investigation. Katrina and I had finished looking through everything, except the six cameras we had mounted to roll the entire seventy two hours.

* * *

I stared at the screen for what seemed like forever. I wrote times down on paper when I saw something strange, so we could go back over it together.

My stomach turned painfully. Reluctantly I paused the video feed and stood up. I was hungry so I headed up to the kitchen. Again that quietness feeling hit me.

I walked over to the fridge to see what I could eat. I glanced at the time. Time for lunch. I started making myself some grilled cheese. I was hungry, but at the same time I wasn't.

I finished making myself some grilled cheese and set them to the side on a plate. I made sure the burner was off before I grabbed a drink and my food and headed back down to the basement.

I continued the feed as I ate. Pausing every now and then to write down the time when I saw something and the camera it was on.

I paused the feed again, so I could close my eyes for a second without missing anything. My phone went off next to the computer. I grabbed it.

"Hello."

"Did you get any sleep?" Katrina asked.

"Nope."

She sighed. "Nick."

"I'm looking at the last of the footage now."

"Well okay." She said. I knew she wanted to say more, just by the sound of her voice.

"Say what you want to say. I can take it. I'm a big boy."

Again she sighed. "I think you need to call Saige up. So you can put all this worrying aside. So that you know those nightmares aren't real."

It was my turn to sigh. I had been putting off calling her, afraid something happened. Afraid of what she'd tell me. I was afraid to speak to the woman I loved, because I was scared of whatever changes she had made in her life. But I knew Katrina was right. I would have to suck it up, if I ever hoped to get a good nights rest again.

"I know. And I will."

"Nick."

"I promise I will. Just let me finish with these cameras. We're already behind on this."

"Okay. We'll meet up tomorrow to go over what you found."

"Sounds good."

"See ya." She said. I ended the call. Keeping the video paused I headed back up the stairs to put my dishes in the sink. While there I decided I would take a shower before I continued.

I walked up the stairs and entered the bedroom. I went towards my dresser and pulled out clothing. As soon as my black sweatpants hit the floor, a paper fell out of the pocket. I bent over to pick it up.

The paper had a bunch of people's name on it and most were crossed off. Except one name. I knew instantly who it was and that Saige had worn my sweatpants last.

I placed the paper down on the top of the dresser and processed to take a shower. A plan was forming in my head. I knew what I had to do.