Chapter 31

Marc and I arrived back to the house with bags of groceries. I peeked my head in the living room to see Griffin asleep on Nick's lap. I smiled and headed back to the car for more bags. Once Marc and I were finished putting the food away we walked into the living room. Marc wasted no time scooping Griffin up into his arms and carrying him to the room just off the kitchen. Which I was guessing was guest bedroom.

"Better wake him up." I said. "He's probably hungry."

"Let him nap." Nick said tossing over on the couch. "He ate."

"He did?" I questioned.

"I found hot dogs in the freezer." My grandfather spoke. "Marc was hiding them from me." He glared at Marc.

"You found my stash. Dammit." He laughed.

I took a seat on the couch next to Nick and turned to him. "How was he?"

"Fine."He smiled.

"No problems?"

"None. He did poop though."

"Oh boy."

"Don't worry I took care of it." He smiled.

Everything was quiet for a while while my grandfather read his book and Marc was sitting down looking between Nick and I. Nick was just sitting there looking at he floor. I pulled out my phone and jumped on my social media. My grandfather cleared his throat. I looked over at him, but he was still reading his book.

"Saige, can I speak to you?" Nick asked.

"Sure?"

"Alone." He said. Marc frowned and looked away. I stood up and walked out of the room. Nick followed behind me.

"Marc I swear if you don't get away from that door frame there's going to be another body in the family plot. And it wont be mine." I heard my grandfather growl.

"I'll be in the kitchen then." Marc mumbled.

I rolled my eyes and walked over to the front door. Had we stayed in the hallway Marc would have still been able to eavesdrop from the kitchen. I turned my attention to Nick. "You wanted to talk to me?"

"Yeah." He nodded looking at me. "When are you heading back?"

"Tomorrow."

"Oh." He frowned.

"Why?"

"I just wanted to spend more time with Griffin. Any chance you can stay an extra day?"

"Afraid not. I came in the RV with Zak. I don't fly with Griffin."

He nodded his head and looked down. "It's just that I miss him and want to spend time with him."

"Well then enjoy the time you have with him now."

"Saige." He sighed.

"Nah. Nah. Don't pull that shit on me. You brought this upon yourself. And remember if I wouldn't have invited you here, you wouldn't have seen him at all."

"If you hate me so much why did you let me see him?" He asked. His eyes were now hard and I sighed. I had gotten use to his yelling but I still didn't like it. 

"I don't hate you." I responded rolling my eyes. "And I let you see him because he's your son."

"How's Zak?" He asked changing the subject.

"Fine, I guess?"

"And Aaron?"

"Aaron's is Aaron. How about you give them a call and ask them."

"So you don't hate me?"

"No matter how much I want to hate you I can't. You are the father of my son after all." I couldn't just flat out tell him that I was still in love with him. I was enjoying my space, I didn't have anything to worry about. 

"When can I see little G again?"

"I don't know." I answered honestly.

"Can I have him for the summer?" He asked hopeful.

"I don't think so Nick."

"Well then, you can come with him." He smiled.

"I'll pass."

"Saige, please. I miss you."

"Maybe you should have thought about that a year ago." I said walking past him and back into the family room.

* * *

Griffin woke up from a nap and instantly started playing with toys. Nick soon joined him. He knew that this was his chance to spend time with his son so he needed to make it count. I sat back and watched while engaging in conversations with my grandfather and Marc about my family.