Chapter 40

I walked around the house with my phone pushed to my ear.

"Tell Zak I said he can go to hell." I told Aaron. He laughed and replayed my message. I heard Zak laugh loudly in the background.

"How's the weather in Boston?" Aaron asked.

"Sucks! It's raining." I cried dramatically.

"Rain's not so bad."

"You're right." I nodded even though he couldn't see me. "It could be snowing."

He chuckled on the other end of the phone. "How's Griff?"

I glanced down at the video monitor in my hand and smiled before answering. "He seems to be doing well. He's talking a nap right now."

"How's Nick?"

"Working. But he should be home this evening." I sighed. It had been a month since Griffin's surgery and he was doing great. After Griffin was discharged I decided we would head to Boston with Nick, for some time until Griffin had to start his radiation therapy. It was a nice break for Griffin and I. Nick enjoyed having us back at home, even it it was only temporary. He was upset when he learned that he needed to head off to work while we were here. But I assured him that we would be here when he got back. "Is it time for me to go back to work, yet?" I pouted.

"Nope." Aaron laughed. "We're doing fine without you, Munchkin."

"Gee thanks Aaron." I replied playfully.

"You know what I mean. Just focus on your son. Work can wait."

"I know. I just need something to do. I'm so board." I sighed. "Nick's not here and there's only so much I can do with a two year old."

"You miss us."

"Obviously."

"We miss you too Munchkin."

"I don't believe you." I laughed.

"Believe what you want." He laughed.

"Mama!" I heard Griffin yell.

"Griff's up from his nap, so I'll let you go."

"Okay. Talk to you later, Munchkin." 

I ended the call and made my way to Griffins room to get him. It was passed lunch time so I asked him if he was hungry. He replied yes and asked if he could have mac n cheese with hot dogs. I nodded and brought him into the kitchen with me so I could cook his lunch. I set him down on the floor and he walked over to the small kids table, that was there for him and Chloe, and sat down watching me.

I cooked him his meal and cooled it off before giving it to him. I told him I would go get the clothes, that were in the hamper I brought down earlier when he was napping. He nodded as he bit into his hot dog. I quickly left the room and returned with the dirty clothes. I dumped the clothes onto the floor and began to sort through them. I put Griffin's into one pile and mine into another. I can across a few of the girls things so I tossed them in with his. The few dirty clothes of Nick's I threw in with mine. I grabbed the pile of Griffin and the girls clothing and carried them into the laundry room, which was located next to the kitchen. I threw them into the washer and started it up. I went back into the kitchen to get the other clothes and put them into the laundry room as well, so I could wash them after his were done.

Griffin was done eating when I joined him back in the kitchen. I smiled and told him he could go play. I followed him into the living room where he grabbed his toy box and pulled out a few toys. I sat back and watched him. Eventually I grew bored of that and got up to play with him.

* * *

The hours passed and soon Nick was walking in the door as I was folding laundry in the living room, while Griffin sat there quietly watching some educational cartoon on the television.

"You didn't have to." Nick told me. "I was going to do it tomorrow."

"I was bored." I told him shrugging my shoulders.

"I'm going to go shower and then you are going to get ready."

"Get ready? Why?" I questioned looking up from folding one of Griffins pants.

"Veronique will be there to take you out." He smiled.

"Why?"

"Because you deserve a break my love." And just like that he was gone and I heard the shower start a few minutes later.

Half an hour later he came back down the stairs with a smile on his face. "Go get ready."

"But what about Griffin?"I asked.

"I'll watch him." He chuckled. "Now go before she shows up."

"Where is she bringing me?" 

"Somewhere nice." Was all he said before he shooed me up the stairs.

* * *

I slipped on the black cocktail dress with the low back, I had bought a few days ago. I slipped on a pair of heels and made my way down the stairs. 

"Daddy, we're here!" I heard Annabelle call out from the front door. I stopped and watched them walk in. Nick greeted each girl with a hug and a kiss on the cheek. Veronique walked in last and smiled. 

"She ready to go?" She asked.

"Uh." Nick began to say.

"Yes." I answered walking down the remainder of the stairs.

"Lets get going." Veronique smiled and grabbed my hand leading me out the door.

"Have I ever told you, that I love that tattoo?" Nick asked from the doorway with a smirk on his face.

"Tattoo?" Veronique asked. "Where."

"My back?" I told her uncertain.

She stopped dead in her tracks and spun me around to look. "Looks nice!" She comments. "We wont be back late!" She yelled to Nick.

"Don't worry about it. Kids are safe." He told her. "I love you Saige." 

"I love you too." I smiled at him as Veronique continued to pull me to her car.