Chapter 23

A/N: I have no idea how court works! And I have no idea about child support, since I've never dealt with it. So I'm going to skip it. This is an important chapter in the story though.  So please excuse the jumping around and false information.

Song is current mood. I'm a huge Avril fan!

* * *

**Nick's POV**

I waited out in the hall of the court house. Veronique, Saige and Zak stood off to the side, away from me, talking. They laughed at something Zak said and I frowned. Of course Saige would bring him. I sighed and played with the ring around my neck. I desperately wanted to talk to Saige, but I knew that it wasn't a good idea. 

Zak moved a little and stood in front of Saige. I then realized that I had been staring at her. I quickly looked away. I heard Zak say something so I looked up. He began walking towards me. I gulped. I stood about an inch taller than him but I couldn't take him in a fight and I knew it. He had so much muscle, where as I was just fit. He didn't even look at me as he walked by. I exhaled, and looked around. Saige stood by the window, tapping her fingers against the wooden frame. Veronique stood up from where she was sitting on the bench and walked over to her. She held Saiges hand down and said something to her.

Zak returned a few minutes later with a bottle of water in his hand. He handed it to Saige and she quickly drank from it. From where I was standing I could see her shaking a little. Why was she nervous?

* * *

First up was Veronique and I. I slowly made my way into the courtroom, after her. We took our seats and waited for the judge. She walked in and we stood up, waiting for her to sit. She sat and we followed her lead. She shuffled around a few pieces of paper and looked at us.

* * *

Veronique left the room, satisfied with the judges ruling. I was too, because I knew it could be a lot worse. I needed to pay five hundred a month for each girl. So a thousand dollars went to Veronique a month for Annabelle and Chloe.

Saige stepped into the room and looked pale. She avoided my eye and took the seat Veronique was previously in. The judge moved a few papers around and looked at me with a raised brow.

"You again?" She asked.

"Yes." I said.

"How many kids do you have?" She smiled.

"Three." I answered. She nodded and turned her attention to Saige and smiled.

"Now." She clapped her hands together and looked at both of us. "I see you are asking for child support from Mr. Groff here."

"Y-yes." Saige stuttered standing up. I smiled. She was cute. The judge nodded her head and looked at some papers. "Actually I've changed my mind." She said rather boldly.

"On?" The judge asked.

"I don't think Nick should pay child support for his son."

"Why not?" The judge asked. "You two are no longer together. The boy is in your custody full time, with no contact from his father at all. Don't you think he should pay?"

"I do." Saige agreed nodding her head. "But I don't feel it's necessary."

"Oh? Please explain?" The judge smiled.

"I made enough money to support myself and my son. I don't need his money, nor would I want it. I'm fully capable of taking care of my son. I don't need his father to help."

The judges smile grew wider as she looked at Saige. "You are one of the bravest woman I've met. Instead of taking his money, you're willing to do it all yourself."

"Yes."

"What do you have to say Mr. Groff?"

Suddenly the attention was on me and I stood. "I'll pay." I told her. I looked at Saige and continued. "I'll pay, because I'm the one that messed up. I deserve to pay something."

"Sit tight for a minute. I'll be back." The judge said standing up and stepping out of the room. Saige quickly sat down and looked out the window.

"Why don't you want me to pay anymore?" I questioned.

"I don't need your money. I don't need anything from you. Griffin is very well taken care of." She answered not looking at me.

"Is it because you have Zak now?"

"What!?" She snapped looking at me.

"Do you not want me paying because Zak pays for everything for our son?"

"What are you talking about. I'm the one supporting Griffin, not Zak."

"Really?" I questioned.

"Yes. Where on earth did you get information like that? I'm the one supporting him. No one else is. I pay for his babysitter. I pay for his food. I pay for his clothing. I pay for diapers. It's all me."

"I've seen the pictures." I mumbled.

"Of?" She questioned.

"You and Zak."

"And you think that just because of that...?" She trailed off sighing. "You're unbelievable."

"Am I? Am I really?"

"Yes. Now can we stop this argument. I'd hate our last conversation to be a fight over who is supporting our son. You should just be happy that he's happy, healthy, and well taken care of."

I sighed. I knew she was right. We remained silent for awhile before I spoke again. "You're right. I'm sorry. I just figured that because you're dating him."

She choked on air. "What? No, no. We're not dating. Only friends."

"I've seen the pictures."

"Friends take pictures."

"Yeah but you all look so happy." I frowned.

"I am happy. I'm around people that actually care about me and Griffin."

"I care."

She ignored me and continued talking. "Even though it's none of your business. I feel I should tell you. I'm not seeing anyone and that includes Zak. We're just friends, but nothing more."

"You sure?"

"Of course. Yeah, okay we kissed but it was one of those spur the moment kind of things."

It was my turn to choke. "You kissed?"

"Yes.." I looked away annoyed. "Oh don't give me that shit Nick. You did worse! And at least I wasn't dating anyone at the time. Let alone engaged to someone!" She snapped. "I believe I have a right to move on too. Since you obviously did while we were together. It's only fair, don't you think."

I turned to answer her but the judge walked in. We stood up as she sat down. "After some deliberating. I have decided that..."

* * *

  DUN DUN DUUUUN!