Chapter 20: the talk

Saturday.

Waking up, I went to the kitchen and picked up a bowl of cereal and a bottle of milk. Jace walked in shirtless with his wet hair.
"Morning" I said pouring the milk in my cereal.
"Morning" he said. Pulling out a bowl he did the same as me and sat on the couch in the living room. He turned on the tv on the sport channel and started to watch the game.
"Any news?" I asked.
"About what?" He asked.
"Mom." I said.
"Yeah" he answered and for a reason I wanted to hear that answer.
"What did you hear?" I asked.
"Do you want to talk to her?" He asked. His attention was now on me as I stood behind the kitchen counter eating my cereal.
"Yeah" I said.
"Why?" He said. He raised his voice a little.
"I need answers. She's the only one that can answer them!" I said.
"Fine then call her but I'm not talking to her." He said.
"Fine just give me her number." He dialled the number and handed me the phone. I walked to my room as it rang. My heart raced every time it rang.
"Hello" I heard her voice. The same exact voice that sang me to sleep when I was little. I felt tears boil up and I hung up. I couldn't talk to her not after everything. I turned around and saw Jace leaning on the door frame.
"Where did you get her number anyway?" I asked throwing the phone on my bed.
"She called and I saved her number." He said. I ran and hugged him. He gently wrapped his hands around my back.
"I can't just talk to her like nothing happened." I said.
"We should hear the explanation at least." He said.
"Call her again." I said. He picked up the phone and dialled the number again. It started ringing. She picked it up again and Jace put the phone on speaker.
"Hello" she answered again.
"Hi" Jace answered.
"Jace sweetheart is that you!?" She said with excitement.
"Yeah" he said.
"Did you think about it!? Will you and your sister come and talk?" She started to ask questions. Jace glanced at me and I nodded a yes.
"Yeah. Is today okay?" He asked.
"Yes absolutely!" She said.
"Where should we meet?" Jace asked and she gave him an address of a coffee shop she knows.
"Meet you there in thirty minutes." Jace said and they hung up.
"Get dressed we're leaving." He said. He walked away without any other word. I put on a sweater and some jeans. Wearing my converse and walked out. Jace was already in front of the door picking up his car keys.
"Ready?" He asked. I nodded and walked to the car, getting into the passenger seat. Jace got into the driver seat. He started the car and we drove off. He started searching up the address on his phone while he drove.

Opening the cafe door. I walked in with Jace behind me. I honestly didn't know what to expect. I was worried. Not because I'm about to meet her again after all these years. The cafe was empty only one woman sitting on a table drinking her coffee. I looked at Jace and he gave me a reassuring smile. I saw the woman's head shot up as her eyes widened when her eyes landed on us. I walked towards the round table. The woman shad short blonde hair with very chic cloths. Her hair was curled and her make up was done and her nails were obviously fake.

"Jace!" She stood up hugging my brother.
"Hey" he greeted. Her eyes then landed on me and widened.
"Jade!" She said in excitement. Pulling me in a hug.
"Hi" I mumbled.
"Sit down." She motioned to the chairs. We sat awkwardly. The silence was broken when she started talking.
"Look I know you guys are mad and I don't blame you but you guys have to give me the chance to explain myself." She said. Jace and I exchanged looks and looked back at her waiting for her to finish. She took a deep breath and started to talk.
"The truth is that when Jace was 2 and you came along, your father and I weren't getting along. We started having fights at night and most of the time you guys stayed over at your grandmas. I was very young back then and I regret getting married and pregnant at that age. Your father started to cheat on me and I couldn't take it anymore. After a few years I met someone. Brian. We fell deeply in love and I couldn't help but blaming myself. Your father married another woman after getting divorced and I figured that she would be a better mom. Trust me it was hard but I couldn't do anything. I left with Brian. A few years we got married and I found out that he had a son. I thought that you were happy with your dad and I just thought that everything was going well. A week ago Found the house you guys lived in and well with some research I was able to call and confront you guys." She spilled out. We looked at her with wide eyes.
"I know it's hard but I need you guys to understand me too. I know I haven't been a good mom in the past but I'm willing to make it up to you guys. Give me a week."she continued.
"What do you mean a week?" I asked.
"Come live with me for a week and if you guys prefer not to then it's fine but give me a chance. Please. As a mother." She said.
"Okay." Jace said.
"Only a week." I continued. She smiled. She hugged me but I pulled away. The only reason that I'm going for the week is to get my questions answered. After that everything is going back to normal. We walked out as she led us to her car.
"You guys follow me." She said. We nodded and I hopped into Jace's car. She started the engin and we drove behind her.

We stopped in front of a familiar house. It was huge. Something told me that I had been here before. She got out of the car locking it and we did the same. She walked to the door and knocked on it. A maid opened the door and we walked in. The door closed behind us. I took in the inside of the house. It had marvelled floors and a huge stair case. It wasn't a house it was more like a castle.
"Honey I'm home." She yelled. A man came in with a neat suit and nicely black gelled hair.
"Brian, these are my kids Jace and Jade." She introduced.
"Brian." He greeted shaking our hands.
I smiled at his gesture and then we followed them to the living room. We each sat on a couch and looked at each other awkwardly.
"Brian, they're going to be here for a week and hopefully they might move in". She said with excitement and happiness.
"They're very welcome I already consider them as my own kids." Brian said. He seemed really nice but I'm not sure that I'm willing to stay here for more than a week. Jace and I exchanged looks and looked back at the two parents seated in front of us. Brian got a call and went to take while my so called 'mom' started talking. Even though I didn't want to admit it. I remember her name. It's Charlene.
Brian came back and then said something to Sharlene.
"He'll be home soon." He said. WAIT who's he? Oh right she said Brian had a son. I hope he's all little and cute and runs around everywhere like all nine year olds.

••••••••
What do you think about the one week deal?