Chapter 29: New Beginnings

Frank's POV
I'm about halfway home from the convenient store when my phone buzzes.

Knowing that there was rarely ever two cars on this back road at a time I check the message, secretly hoping it would be Gerard.

It wasn't.

It was better.

New Message From Brian:
Can you come into my office tonight? We need to talk about the paperwork on Last Nights Ride, and you can talk to me about whatever else it is you need.

Last Night's Ride was a small band we had been working with for a few months. We had been doing a lot of paperwork preparing them for touring through the Southern half of the United States. There was probably a mix up with insurance or something, as Brian usually doesn't need my help unless it's numbers or loopholes of the court.

Slowing down the speed of my car, I start to type back with a feeling of excitement forming in my stomach.

Outgoing Message To Brian:
That sounds great. What time is best for you?

I notice a curb coming up, I'd be at my house in less than a minute. I send the message and set my phone back down before finishing the short drive.

My heart is racing and I can hear it in my ears as I climb out of my car and head to the front porch.

I might actually be able to get out of New Jersey.

I love it here, I love the aesthetic of this city, but I just can't keep dragging myself around a wasteland of what I had with Gerard.

Everywhere holds memories of me and him, and the ones before Gerard are nothing nice.

I tried to push away the thoughts of pill addiction and meth, but it looms over me whenever I head towards the east end.

My phone buzzes again as I close the front door behind me. I quietly head up to my room, passing Perry in the hall. She looks at me but neither of us speak.

Once I get in my room I sit down on the edge of my bed and check the message.

Incoming Message From Brain:

I'll be working on the papers we need to discuss at about 8:30, I'm not sure when I'll be done, so anytime after that.

I don't send a message in response not wanting to bother the man who was deciding whether I fly away or crash and burn. I lay back and let out a long sigh.

My heart tugs and my stomach lurches as I let my eyes fall shut.

The silence in the house settles over me, I am alone, alone in the solitude of what feels like a death.

It feels as if two days ago I heard that Gerard was dying, and this morning he did. It feels like I'll never see him again.

I never will see Gerard the same again, it won't be like seeing the Gerard I love, it'll be like seeing the Gerard I lost.

He's so much happier this way.

He didn't want me anymore, I can't go back, and worrying won't change that.

I have to focus on getting out, I won't last long here. Not alone. Not in this house. Not in any house in this state, I need to leave.

I don't let myself cry, I hold it in even though it feels like I could explode.

I can't let this drag me through the mud, I don't deserve that.

I was nothing but faithful to Gerard right until the end, I deserve to be happy now.

I should be celebrating my freedom, I should be rejoicing. I can meet new people, I can feel new things, I can numb this pain rightfully.

If tonight works out, I have to spend however much time I have here having a good time. I owe myself that.

I've slaved away for years doing paperwork, I've held onto Gerard so tightly, I've concealed my hopes and dreams in a bag my entire life, I can drop them for a split second and just enjoy life.

Gerard's POV

Mikey looks down at his phone and his facial expression changes drastically.

I can tell he had seen something that bothered him but I didn't want to ask. If I needed to know he would tell me.

The foundation of a successful relationship is trust, I have to start this off knowing that Mikey will tell me what I need to know when I need to know it.

I reach over and gently tap the table in front of him. He jumps slightly and looks up at me, forcing a small smile.

"Sorry. Ray texted me, his dad and him got in a fight."

I feel as if he's lying because he looks down at the table when he speaks. I don't question it, I stand by the idea of trusting him.

"I'm sorry to hear that. If he needs a place to stay he's welcome here, but uh, I want to spend some time alone with you." I say lowering my voice a bit and Mikey blushes deep red.

"I'd like that. If things get worse over there I'll tell him to come here, but let's enjoy right now."

I smile and let out a slow sigh, I need to make sure Mikey is okay, that he's still eating.

"Why don't I make something to eat? All I've really had today is coffee and I'm sure there's something here I know how to make." Mikey rolls his eyes at me.

"Oh please! You can cook just about anything, you've been keeping me fed for years."

I feel a bit sad, he was right. Mom hadn't been around to be a mom in a long time and it was getting to the point that I was Mikey's parent.

That just adds another level of wrong to this whole thing, but it's so dangerously wrong that it makes me want it so much more.

I feel my member twitch in my jeans, but I know neither of us are ready to take it that far, but I want to go past where we've been stopping, there's nothing that says we can't play around a bit.

I stand up and walk around the table, placing my hand on Mikey's shoulder. He looks up at me through his lashes and I'm about to grab him by his collar and kiss the fuck out of him when I remember the priority.

I smile down at him and then head over to the cupboard, I have to find something to cook. Tomorrow I'll have to go to the grocery store, but tonight I can just make some spaghetti.

When Mikey see's me pulling out the things to make it, he starts to twitch a little. "C-can we make something a little lighter? My stomach has been kind of off lately." I know he's lying, and I get very afraid.

I stare at him and then I look down at my feet.

Oh No.