Chapter 13 History Catalina

"So uh, Lara. Where does the last name August originate from?" I asked stuttering my words since the moment I had showed up at Lara's work after the first 'interesting' encounter things felt a bit awkward; especially since that almost kiss that Lara had given me kept replaying in circles in my mind. If only I had turned my head a few centimeters I could have connected our lips. Although that would have made this moment even more tense.

" German,Dutch, and Scandinavian. There are various connections to my father'slast name even through the form of the classic Latin name Augustusbefore being 'Americanized'. We are Dutch though." Lara answeredinsightfully.

"Wow.How do you know all that?" I asked baffled at Lara's intelligence of half of her family history.

"My grandfather use to tell me about life growing up in Rotterdam in the Netherlands before migrating to America with his brothers. A lot of his stories came with a history lesson attached." Lara continued staring out the passenger side window, glancing at me every now and then when our sights caught one another.

"What about your mom's side?" I asked enjoying this history lesson.

"My mother is Scottish Gaelic; maiden name Camran."

"Wait.If that's so how do you know Spanish?" I question going back to when we fought in my kitchen and she called me a stubborn princess in the my mothers Native tongue.

"School."Lara answered shrugging her shoulders, "What about you? You're Latina on your mothers side, which is clearly evident but what about your dad?" Lara asked.

"Huh,I would have to say English I suppose;I honestly don't really now.Although I am sure that my father isn't one hundred percent English though." I answered the question now summoning up my own.

"Well something to ask at dinner. How does he know Spanish" Lara laughed. The infection sound emanating throughout the car lightening the mood.

"Translator books and I'll make note of it." I answered glancing at Lara quickly, seeming a bit on edge but somehow content; maybe its the fact she isn't the one driving.

"So, you going to finally tell me where we're going?" Lara questioned squirming in her seat.

I smiled contently to myself knowing that we were growing closer to our destination, hoping that Lara would enjoy the surprise; if not that I could chalk this one up as a fail and earn me some total loser points.

"Somewhere you might enjoy. Since you're so fond of history." I answered vaguely before pulling into the parking lot. Lara's eyes harbored a childish gleam in them as they sparkled like storm clouds right before lightning hit; clouds of grey and blue while her pupils where dilated in passion when she saw the surprise destination. The Scottish Highland Games; read the giant billboard. 

A Country Fair with Scottish Flair; dancing, athletics, and of course food, more than a dozen food vendors offering Scottish meat pies and barbecue, ice cream, hot dogs and something called haggis. Which I might pass on, if a food sounds like a noise one makes in a bathroom it couldn't be good.

"Whoa, Cat this is so cool! How did you know about this?" Lara exclaimed excitingly.

"I might have looked into the community event bored and hoped this sparked an interest." I babbled feeling my cheeks warm as I knew I was blushing.

"Cat this is so...I don't know what to say. This is awesome." Lara continued seeming just as baffled.

"Well come on let's go! We're burning daylight loser." I teased opening the car door.

"Wait! Catalina wait a second." Lara called out after me and grabbing my wrist.

"What?" I asked my cheeks blushing again.

Cold Hearted Augustजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें