Stormy nights

Prompt: Ashton is scared of thunderstorms and luke protects him.

------

It was about 2:00 a.m. in the morning, and there was a big storm outside. It was thundering and lighting so bad that it shook the house and lit up the whole room.

Ashton was shaking and trembling in his spot on the bed. His fiancé Luke was asleep next to him, which was surprising Ashton because the thunder was louder than cannons shooting in a war.

As another boom of thunder clapped loudly, Ashton jumped and accidentally hit Luke.

Luke's head jumped up from his pillow as he sleepily looked around before just laying his head back on the pillow just as another clap of thunder shook the house causing Ashton to whimper.

Luke immediately picked his head up again hearing Ashton.

"What's wrong baby?" Luke asked him, his voice deep and scratchy from sleep.

Ashton was about to answer before lighting flashed causing him to choke back a sob and clutch the comforter.

"Oh," Luke breathed out pulling him into his embrace, "It's ok baby. It's just a storm. It's ok."

"N-no, it's not," Ashton squeaked out. "I-it's n-not ok. S-storms are never o-ok." Ashton said, memories of when he was younger flashing through his mind.

When Ashton was about 6 or 7 years old, there was a storm that was about as close to hurricane as a storm can get while it's not a hurricane and he got stuck in his closet. He doesn't remember how he got stuck but no matter how loud he screamed for his parents, they couldn't hear him. So he was in the closet, closed in during the entire storm and his parents didn't find him until much later. He's been scared ever since, just never told anyone because he's afraid of being judged.

"What do you mean? Calm down honey, you're gonna hyperventilate." Luke said, attempting to calm Ashton's breathing and trembling body down.

"It's not ok! I-I'm t-terrified of storms! They're l-loud and-and-and-" Ashton stuttered out before he began full on sobbing, feeling the world around him close in on him.

"Ash calm down please. I'm here, talk to me. Why are you scared?" Luke spoke in a more hurried tone.

"W-when I was y-younger, I g-got locked I-in a c-closet during t-the w-worst storm and n-no found me t-till afterwards, a-and the s-storm lasted t-the w-whole n-night." Ashton stuttered out again, whimpering as lighting lit up the room once again. He clung onto Luke like his life depended on it, which to Ashton, it did.

"Ashton, hey listen. It's ok. It'll pass soon, don't worry I'm here. You're ok. Shhh." Luke comforted the terrified boy, but it didn't seem to do much.

"I f-feel like t-the room I-is closing in o-on m-me. L-Lukey." Ashton said, biting his lip to prevent more tears from spilling out of his eyes.

"Hey calm down, the room's not closing in on you. It's ok I'm here." Luke said.

Ashton continued to cling to Luke as more thunder sounded and lighting flashed.

Suddenly, Luke got an idea. When he was younger, and he was scared of storms, his parents would always tell him something.

"Hey ash, come with me." Luke whispered, pulling away from Ashton. "W-wait! Where a-are you g-going?" Ashton cried.

"Just come on, I want to show you something." Luke said before grabbing Ashton's hands and leading him away from the bed and towards the window in their bedroom.

It was a bay widow so they could and look out to so the outside.

"L-Luke, I d-don't wanna sit t-there." Ashton said nervously. "Don't worry, nothing's gonna happen. I just want to show you something." Luke waved him over and Ashton slowly made his way towards his blonde fiancé. He sat down on Luke's lap and looked down.

"Ok, now," Luke said rubbing Ashton arms, "Look out the window." Ashton shook his head.

"Don't worry, just trust me," Ashton trusted Luke so he slowly turned his gaze to look out the window. "Good job, now watch the sky." Luke smiled at him, also looking out the window.

Ashton did and jumped when lighting lit up the entire night sky.

"Hey it's ok, just listen to me," Luke soothed. Ashton nodded his head and listened to what Luke had to say.

"Ok, just imagine that up there, in heaven, God and everyone else is bowling. And the thunder represents when the bowling ball hitting the lane. And the lighting," Luke brought his lips towards Ashton neck as he looked up, "is someone getting a strike. And the quieter thunder that lasts a little longer, is someone getting the ball in the gutter. It's all just a game. And the rain, are the losers tears. Now watch." Luke said.

Ashton looked up and watched the night sky. He listened to the thunder and watched the lighting, thinking of what Luke said. He realized that when lighting flashed, the sky lit up a beautiful color he couldn't describe. Huh, he never though a storm could be so beautiful.

"Do you feel better now?" Luke whispered, smiling at Ashton expression watching the storm. Ashton nodded, leaning back into Luke, his eyes never leaving the window.

Luke smiled once again and began massaging Ashton's curls while looking out the window as well.

Ashton's eyelids began to get heavy but he tried keeping them open.

"Let's go back to bed." Luke whispered.

Ashton nodded, "Carry me?" he pouted. Luke smiled fondly at his boy before picking Ashton up bridal style and carrying him back to the bed.

He laid Ashton down and covered the two with the comforter. Luke pulled Ashton flush to his body and wrapped both his arms around his tiny waist.

"I love you Lukey." Ashton slurred, sleep obvious is his voice.

"I love you too pumpkin, goodnight." Luke responded, pressing a single light kiss to Ashton lips.

"Goodnight, thank you for helping me." Ashton said, smiling cutely.

Luke smiled back, "You're welcome love."

That was the last thing Ashton heard other than the last clap of thunder before his eyes closed, and he trapped in his dreamland with Luke.

----

A/n- THAT ENDING IS SO CRINGY OMG IM SO SORRY IN CRINGING WRITING IT I DIDNT KNOW HOW TO END IT IM SORRY

this is literally like a true story, my dad told me this exact thing when I got scared one time during a storm. But now I don't really get scared anymore.

-Lyd🖤