Part 31

Harry's performances on SNL had me all sorts of fûcked up he's such a legend

Word count: 3680
___________________________________

I couldn't help but bounce my leg anxiously as I waited for Harry to contact me in any way. Sitting in Oral Communications and praying for nothing more than a text or a call from Harry was eating away at me. It was nearly ten, and I wanted to send him a text myself to see how things were going, but I knew he wanted me to stay out of this and let him deal with it himself.

After class, I went by the convenience store to grab a snack on my way back to my dorm. I noticed new magazines had come in, and I glanced at one for a moment before taking a double-look.

My face was on the cover, as well as Harry's.

I hastily scanned the title, seeing the claims that I am Harry's new "mystery lover" and I'm a complete one-eighty from his last real relationship. I quickly flipped to the article, scanning words like "model" and "fresh-faced," but all I could think of was why someone felt the need to write an article about us.

"Hey, are you the girl on the cover?" The girl working the counter asked, and I shook my head while putting the magazine down, quickly leaving the store without another word.

I then began to notice the stares from students on campus, muttering quietly as I passed by and tried to avoid eye contact. I finally made it to my dorm, but of course, Becca was there with a magazine in hand and a death glare on her face.

"What the actual fûck is this?" She asked.

"I don't want to talk about it --," I began, but she tossed the magazine down and crossed her arms.

"I don't care. Is this where you've been going off to on the weekends? You lied to me about this?"

"Becca, it's not a big deal, okay?" I said. But she wasn't having it.

"Jill, you flat out lied to me. And Zayn. You never once mentioned being in a so-called relationship. And you always made me feel like such a shïtty person for wanting you to go out with us. If you had just said that you had a boyfriend, I wouldn't have done all that stuff --,"

"Becca, seriously, I don't want to talk about it!"

"Well, you're going to have to. You're on the cover of nearly every magazine out there, honey. No one's just going to let this fly. He's like, forty-something and --,"

"He's thirty-two, don't over-exaggerate." I said.

"He's still an entire decade older than you. What? Is it the money? Is that why you said yes?"

"Are you serious?" I asked, bewildered at her accusations. "What kind of person do you think I am?"

"Oh, my god." She said, her eyes widening. "He's the one that bought you the laptop."

"Becca --,"

"He bought you that expensive fûcking laptop. What else? Is he paying for your education too?"

"No, Becca, it was a nice gesture --,"

"A nice gesture?" She laughed and shook her head. "No one buys someone an Apple laptop as a nice gesture. You're so far up his rich áss, I can tell."

"It's not even any of your business, Becca, you don't know my life --,"

"No, you're right! I don't! You know why? Because you close yourself off all the time and you don't talk to me about anything!" She sneered and gave me the most condescending look I had ever seen. "I don't even feel bad about trying to get you and Zayn together."