42.

ZAYN'S POV

I don't know how to feel. I know I'm hurt but I'm also pissed at her. How could she just walk out like that? I know I have no right to be mad at her but anger buries the hurt. It's better to be mad than to face the truth. It still hasn't settled in though. I simply can't accept the fact that she broke up with me. Maybe if I give her some time to cool down, everything will go back to normal. It has to.

I grab my phone and car keys and I lock my office door. I'm too distracted to think about work. I'll probably get nothing done anyways.

"Cancel all my appointments today." I spit at Mary as I walk over to the elevator. She looks surprised at my attitude. I don't blame her. This morning I was as happy as ever and now I just feel like shit. I can't hide the irritation I'm feeling. I walk over to my car, ignoring everyone else. When I get to my car, I take a moment to take a deep breath. I grip the steering wheel tightly and I ignore my trembling hands.

Don't worry. It's not over.

I keep telling myself that as I drive home. I don't see the road. I'm just driving. The picture of her face never leaving my mind. The sadness and hurt that I saw haunts me. I have never seen her like that. The fact that she believes that I would purposely hurt her, makes it worse. I wish I could've held her and reassured her that I would never cheat on her. I could never hurt her. Not intentionally.

Once I get home, I call her but it just rings. I start to get worried. She was pretty emotional when she left and anything could've happened to her. I hope she made it back safely. I call her again and she ends the call on the first ring. Deciding that maybe she needs more time. I text her instead. I ask her if she's home safe. Then I ask her to just let me know. I text her goodnight. Finally, after not receiving any replies, I text her that I'm sorry.

The next morning I'm in a worse mood. I'm determined though. I'll get her back. I spend half the day just working, trying to forget about the events of yesterday. It only works for so long till all I can think about is what she's doing now. Is she thinking about us? Is she crying? Does she actually care. Despite knowing the answers to those questions, I can't help but still wonder. After getting very little done, I decide to head home.

I can't do this anymore.

Fighting the urge to drink, I grab my car keys and my phone and I head over to the car once again. I get to her apartment building and I park there. I sit in the car for a bit and I'm actually nervous. My heart is pounding in my chest and I wonder if she'll even let me in once again. I sigh and I enter her building, going straight to her door. It looks like all the lights are off, but it can't hurt to try. I knock three times and I get no answer. I knock again and still no one answers. I look at the time and see that it's 11:30pm.

Where the hell is she?

I call her again and it sends me straight to voicemail. I sigh.

"Hey ba- uh Mel. I just called to check if you're okay. I haven't heard anything from you and I'm worried." I look at the door, wishing for it to open, but of course it doesn't. "I'm outside your door but I guess you're not here so uh let me know if you're okay. We really need to talk. Please call me." I say just as the "beep" sound plays. Deciding to give up I go to the elevator, pressing the button. I don't wait long till the doors open and just to my luck, Trevor is in there. I nod at him and I step in.

"Were you looking for Mel?" I nod. I'm not in the mood for talking but he carries on. "They went out. Cate told me that she just needed something to make her feel better. Also I heard what happened. I'm sorry man." I clench my jaw. They have no fucking business putting their noses in our business. Cate and her damn big mouth.