1

Today was the day.

My high school graduation.

I was wearing a white dress under my blue cap and gown, my hands folded neatly in my lap as I sat with the other kids in my graduating class.

Today was my one day that I could live like a normal teenager.

Well, sort of.

When it was time for my row, the first row, to walk the stage I glanced around at all of the people watching.

The congressmen and women, the cabinet members, department directors, and secretaries, all filled the space.

My eyes landed on my father and my mother sitting there in the front, smiling proudly.

My mothers red hair was curled and pinned back elegantly while her brown eyes that matched mine watched me.

My Father, with the American flag pin on his suit that I could see even from here was smiling widely.

Distracted by them, when I took my next step I tripped and was about to fall but an arm reached out and pulled me upright.

"Thanks." I said as I looked up at the suited man next to me, the sunglasses on his face and earpiece showing.

He gave me a curt nod.

I understood why we needed the secret service, but sometimes they were too much.

When it was time to walk the stage I took a deep breath and walked along the stage, coming up to the principal of my school.

"Emma Winston." He said and I heard the audience erupt into cheers.

I smiled at this and shook Principal Cooks hand before continuing on.

I walked back to my seat to wait until everyone else had finished graduating, and once we had, we threw our hats in the air.

I grabbed mine before it could get lost and then was escorted through the crowd by two tall (and armed) men to my parents.

"Oh Emmy! I'm so proud of you!" My mother pulled me into a hug. "You are so amazing."

"Thank you." I smiled and kissed her cheek as I pulled back.

"Emmy." My father knowingly grinned at me and wrapped me in a hug next. "Congratulations, sweetheart."

"Thank you. I'm glad you were able to come."

"I wouldn't miss this for the world. You're my daughter."

He kissed my cheek.

After this I was bombarded by every politician in America who wanted to congratulate me and get their photo taken with me on my special day.

This went on forever until my parents decided to let the rest get a photo with me at the party tonight to celebrate.

We began to make our way to the limo but as we did Principal Cook came up to us.

"It was an honor and a pleasure having your daughter attend our school. She is a wonderful student." He shook my fathers hand.

"Thank you Principal Cook. We are grateful for your care over our daughter."

"She was a joy to have in school, Mr. President."

They said goodbye before we continued walking to the limo with the blacked out windows.

I got in and my mother followed, my father getting in next.

"Oh, Emmy, we have to discuss your college plans. I had a very nice phone call with the president of the university and he gave us some options."

"We can talk now." I said.

"No. We'll go back home so you can rest and talk tomorrow."

My mother patted my hand.

"Mom, i'm 18. Are you seriously going to make me take a nap everyday for the rest of my life?" I sighed.

"You know it helps, Emmy." My father interrupted.

"Yes, Mr. President." I mumbled.

"Hey, that's Dad to you kiddo." He lightly and playfully punched my arm making me smile.

As we drove through D.C., all traffic stopped for our motorcade I started out the window at the steers I would never be able to walk on by myself.

Then I could see home.

The White House.

Never did I think I would be able to call one of the most remarkable and recognizable buildings in the world my home, but I could.

But that's what happened when your father becomes President of the United States.

When we arrived we were let out of the car where my mother immediately led me up to my room.

I glanced around the halls, the dark blue carpet and white detailed walls looking elegant as always.

I passed a secret service man in the hall and he nodded at me as I smiled and then walked into my room.

The one place I could truly relax.

The walls had been painted a lavender color and my bed spread was a black and white floral design.

I wasted no time in unzipping my dress and hanging it up before slipping on a pair of cotton shorts and a tee shirt before climbing under the covers.

As much as I hated to admit it my mother was right, the naps did help.

And I needed the rest too because after my two hour nap I was re-dressed, my hair and makeup touched up and then led to one of the many banquet rooms where people were gathered, tables filled with snacks and glasses of champagne.

Another was stacked and filled with gifts of all shapes and sizes, waiting for me to open them.

Because I was the Presidents daughter who had just graduated from high school, and today was a day to celebrate. 

As I spoke with a Congressman my attention was captured by two green eyes that were gazing at me.

I turned my head to the side and saw a man, the green eyed man, blink at me before turning away and walking out of the banquet hall.

I looked back at the Congressman to say thank you again before looking for the green eyed man, but he was gone.