Chapter 8

Raidyn 

I was changing myself. I really was. I could feel it in me. Every since my deep rooted distrust for anyone, including Byrd, came up again in our last squabble I decided something needed to change. It was ridiculous of me, wasn't it? I was a king though and there's very few who I can actually trust. I know there are woman out there who have used me as I have them, but things were different with Byrd. She is my Gods damned wife until the day I die. So I sat down and I looked at things and I realized that I'd better fix myself and fast before it really started to affect my life. Byrd isn't a spy anymore and even when she was one, I was absolutely horrible because I knew the truth the whole time and because she fell in love with me. She let herself slip the way I let myself. It was beautiful.

Two days after talk of Byrd's party with Raven, I chose to do little things everyday to make up for the terrible fact that I had forgotten her birthday. Today I brought her breakfast in bed that I actually made, french toast.

"Good morning, my queen." I beam, setting up the tray on the bed. The tray had the french toast, a fruit cup, a glass of water, and a rose freshly clipped from the maze in a vase.

"Thank you." Byrd smiles widely and rubs her eyes. "You're so sweet." She leans to give me a kiss on the lips.

I happily walk over to the crib where Ries is still surprisingly sleeping. He looked so peaceful that I didn't dare touch him or wake him even though I wanted to do badly bring him over to Byrd so we could all have the morning in bed together.

"You know I actually made the french toast, not Pierre." I look over my shoulder at her.

She drops her fork out of her right hand. "No you didn't." She marvels. "This is the best french toast I've ever had. You didn't tell me you could cook."

"I can't." I chuckle. "I had Pierre leave a recipe out for me and I burned about three loafs before coming up with that decent looking french toast this morning."

"Aw." She chuckles while she wipes her mouth with a napkin. "You didn't have to go through all that trouble for me."

"Yes, I did. You're my queen." I give her a pointed look and put my hands on my hips.

"Thank you, my king, for this marvelous french toast."

"You're just filling my ego now." I joke and wink at her.

She laughs. "Don't I always? When you're happy, I'm happy."

I roll my eyes, still smiling and hop in the bed next to her on my side. "I love you." I lean over and kiss her on the cheek. "The rose is from the garden, I thought it would make a nice touch to the tray."

"It's a very nice touch, I love it." She leans to kiss me again on the lips and then returns to her breakfast. She stabs a piece of her french toast with her fork and then aims it at me. "Do you want to try your masterpiece?"

"No. You can gobble it all down. I already went on a run this morning and ate after when I was cooking the rejects."

"Scaling sounds great right about now." She looks out the window. "Are you busy today?"

I turn my face away from her unaware how she was going to take the news of my plans. "I'm hanging out with Bren today." I finish speaking and I wince and prepare to get smacked in the face or something.

"I hate him." She continues to eat her food.

"Tomorrow is Monday and everyone will be arriving from out of town for Wednesday, I figured you'd want to spend some time with Flora alone anyways while I took Bren off your hands. I know you didn't ask Flora about Daneria yet." I shrug and scratch at my shoulder blade with a hand.