Chapter 17

Raidyn

Later that night the meeting didn't happen. No one seemed to mind or care because of all the chaos of the day. It was nice to unwind for all of us. The North had every kingdom on edge and every ruler tense. Finn probably needed to unwind after the battle as did Bren even though he insisted on pestering me. Bren always seemed to act like a little brother to me and now he was my step-brother-in-law which was a really odd concept to wrap my head around.

Three days I was unconscious. That's the longest I'd ever gone before by far. I really don't believe my mother actually came to me, because while I might have looked like death, there's no way I actually died. I am the most powerful being and it would take more than five laced arrows to take me down, despite what the healers claim. Speaking of healers, I was appalled at how Martha was acting the other day. It was incredibly shocking, she had given me years of loyal service and all of the sudden decided to act up when I'm at my worst. It just goes to show how kings have to always keep up their strength. She walked all over right right in front of Byrd.  

I looked at the new day with appreciation as I did my wife and son. I couldn't imagine being given these two gifts and not able to enjoy them for years. Byrd has been in my life for over a year now and I can't believe the complete change my life has taken. I don't think I've felt lonely or in a dark place in so long that the sun seems less bright to me because my world is just becoming lighter overall. Love is a powerful thing and I don't doubt that Byrd's love for me is lighting up my life. Her auburn hair, that gorgeous smile with her perfect teeth, her laugh, the way she looks sleeping or waking up in the morning. Her body and soul were made for my own I felt such a deep connection with her that I found myself foolish for every second guessing it before, but second guessing is just who I always was before her-not now. Not with her. I refuse to do it anymore.

I start my day off as usual, taking care of my always smiling and high maintenance baby boy. If I could pour my heart into something that something would be Riesner. With everything I have I want to give him, protect him, be there for him, support him, and love him. A father's love was unlike anything I could've imagined. Every morning I wake and I see him I'm in awe that he even exists. I love that he's smiling more and more. The giggles he rewards me which when I make a face he finds funny are enough to send my heart soaring. I lived for the sound. I woke up Byrd this morning with the sound of Ries's laugh-I couldn't think of a better way to wake her up personally.

It's unfortunate to hand over Ries to Raven for the day, but Byrd and I did have our meeting to attend, so we said our goodbyes and headed over to the boardroom.

I convoke the meeting the same way I always do; a greeting and stating the problem at hand followed by the suggestions to solve the problem.

I'm not surprised Astrid is the first to speak. "We need to figure out a way to bring him down-I haven't seen anything in the future about how we will yet, so every suggestion helps."

"We need to help the rest of the defenseless citizens." Byrd responds. "They are all innocent bystanders. I suggest we come up with a plan to get the rest of them and bring them to shelter in one of our kingdoms."

"The closest kingdom to the North is the West." Bren points out. "It would be easiest to sneak them out and go West."

"There's danger though due to the West's proximity too, King Bren." I formally cut in to remind him.

"What about here?" Byrd asks. "We already have refuges staying at Harking Manor--we could still bring more in, they'll be safe here."

"We would gladly take in more too." Harking speaks up.

"Our kingdom has been attacked more times than about other, we should not be giving this man another reason to attack us. We need to really formulate a solid plan that doesn't make this kingdom an even greater target." I shake my head.