Chapter 10

Raidyn

After last night talking with Elianna and Tyden, I've managed to spend some more time with my friend while he's in the castle. Tyden attended the meetings with me all morning and afterwards I split up with him to check on Byrd. Both of us were still on edge because of the accident with Dieter and it felt better to check up on her through my day. I head down corridor after corridor until I approach the one of our chambers. All I can see from a view is Byrd and who I believe is

Flora. The closer I get I can tell that Byrd is shaking and her personal knife is at Flora's throat. Tears run down the sides of Flora's face and I quickly rush over to intervene.

"Byrd, sweetheart, put the knife down. Flora is one of your best friends." I say gently and try not to let my voice waiver.

Byrd's grip on the knife tightens and Flora starts to sob. Suddenly Byrd drops the knife and it makes a clinking noise as it hits the ground. She blinks and takes a step back from Flora. "I-I didn't mean to." She looks lost.

I step on the knife and pull her into my arms to soothe her. "It's okay, you're okay." I whisper repeatedly and look over at Flora who is sobbing with her head in her hands. "Flora, you're okay too." I motion over to a guard that so happens to be walking by and crane my head to instruct the guard, "Get King Bren."

The guard nods his head and runs to grab Bren in the other wing of the castle. Byrd doesn't hug me back but grabs my arms and refuses to look up at me, she shakes her head as her entire body is shaking.

A minute later Bren is running in the hallways breathless as he quickly grabs Flora. "What the hell happened?!" He shouts angrily holding Flora's head to his chest.

"Bren, we'll discuss this later. Just focus on being there for your girlfriend. She needs you right now." I snap as I try to guide Byrd away from them. "What the hell happened?" I whisper to Byrd as we gain some distance between us and Bren and Flora.

"S-She startled me. I don't know what happened." Her voice cracks and she still doesn't bring herself to look up at me.

"Hey, you're okay. No one is hurt. Byrd, you need to take it easy and relax I think for a couple days. Maybe you need to really talk to someone about what happened, like me, or some friend. I know you're not okay. You don't have to be so strong for everyone all the time." My heart breaks a little inside at the sight of her so distressed.

"Yes, I do." She sobs. "I am a queen and I can't let a threat like this show I am weak."

"No. No, you don't. Not with me." I frown and gently speak to her as I would to our sleeping baby.

She finally looks up at me with tears pouring down her cheeks. "I didn't mean to hurt her."

"You didn't. Flora is fine, she is just a tad shaken up."

"She just came up behind me and I-I got scared." Byrd runs her hands through her hair.

Finally we get to our chambers where Raven has been watching over napping Riesner. I quickly thank and dismiss her so Byrd and I can truly talk about this and even lay together-fuck working when Byrd is like this, I'm taking the rest of the day off.

I close the door as Raven finally walks out of it. "I know you were scared, but didn't you notice it was Flora? She's not a threat to you."

"All I could see was Dieter." She shakes her head and sobs. "I see him around every corner. I can't get him out of my mind."

I embrace her bad run my hands through her shiny, long auburn hair. "I can manipulate him out if you want."

She wipes her eyes. "Then it's just a mindless memory--I won't remember."