Forty-Eight

"Same old story, not much to say... hearts are broken everyday"

 hearts are broken everyday"

What's that saying about New Year's Eve? Something about the way in which you bring in the near year reflects how your year will go

What's that saying about New Year's Eve? Something about the way in which you bring in the near year reflects how your year will go. Christ, I fücking hope that's not true.

Sat alone in my cosiest pyjamas after a FaceTime call with Phil and his blossoming love interest, Nancy. The two lovebirds decided last minute to get away in Nancy's caravan down in Cornwall, and for quite possibly the first time in my life, Cornwall sounds like a much better option than where I am right now.

You could say that I'm alone by choice. I've had my fair share of drunken phone calls and text messages from friends, each begging, bribing, and blackmailing me to come out with them. Politely, I tell them all the same thing. I'm so sorry, but I think I might have come down with something! I don't feel all that bad telling them small white lies, as it's a much more attractive prospect than the alternative. I'm not quite ready to announce to the world that I'm pregnant just yet. Besides, it's a little early on for all that.

Sighing, I turn the telly on, in hopes that something on Netflix will catch my eye. New Girl? No, I can't deal with the overacting and Zooey Deschanel's unnecessary pep. House of Cards? No. I just want something to watch where I don't need to think. Pretty Little Liars? I'm not quite in the mood to watch a show which fücks with you on just about every episode for however many years. Making A Murderer? This looks alright. Perhaps not the most ideal TV show to watch as 2016 rolls over, but how much worse can it be? Surely I've already hit my rock bottom by now.

Placing some popcorn in the microwave, I head to the bathroom for what seems like the twentieth time this evening. Staring at the time in the bathroom, I feel somewhat panicked.

11:16pm.

Even though I committed to not doing anything in particular, there's still a small part of me that feels sad about it.

Knock knock.

I stay silent for a moment, craning my neck to almost check if what I heard, actually happened. I mean, who would be knocking at my door not only at this hour, but on this particular night?