Twenty

"Do you ever think of me when you lie? Lie down in your bed, your bed of lies. And I knew better than to look in your eyes. They only pretend you would be mine"

 They only pretend you would be mine"

"Don't worry Poppet, I really liked the muffins

"Don't worry Poppet, I really liked the muffins. Don't throw them away - I'll eat them when I build up more of an appetite."

I know that he's only lying for my benefit, as they tasted like arse, and if I'm honest, they've left me with that sick kind of feeling you get in your stomach after eating questionable food. I don't understand - I stuck to the recipe. I followed it to the letter, and they've only ended up turning out dreadfully.

"You're a bad liar," I smile, as I tip the contents of the muffin container into the rubbish bin. "But thanks Phil."

"So where's Harry then? Is he not around today?"

What do I tell him? No, Harry no longer sleeps at my house and I don't actually know of his whereabouts.

"Err, I think he's got a couple things on today," I tell him, not completely sure of exactly what he's doing. "I'll let him know you've asked about him though."

The truth is, I don't want Harry anywhere near the hospital. I still haven't exactly mentioned the results from Phil's tests. I've been holding onto the guilt for over a day now, and it's absolutely eating me alive from the inside out. Lying has left me with an exorbitant amount of remorse, and shame, and the longer I keep it from him, the worse off I feel.

"And how are things now with you both? Better?"

"Yeah, really good Phil. Really good," I lie.

"Look at you, you lazy git," I hear from the entrance, directed to my Dad.

Harry stands there from the doorway with a cheeky grin on his face, and my heart drops to the floor as I sink further into the chair.

"Oh hello Harry," I say a little too quickly, and in a higher pitch than what I am used to saying.

"Hi Eb," he greets, walking over to peck me platonically on the cheek.

"Mr Big Shot decides to grace us with his presence," Dad jokingly comments, causing a polite laugh from Harry.