Fifty

"Tell me something, tell me something. You don't know nothing, just pretend you do. I need something, so tell me something new."

I wake with the uncomfortable kind of feeling you're left when you awake after a heavy night of partying

I wake with the uncomfortable kind of feeling you're left when you awake after a heavy night of partying. The dreaded symptoms of a 'hangover', though in this case, the cause can only be explained through a lack of sleep. I can't even recall the time we got to bed, though we didn't leave that rooftop until the sun could be spotted on the horizon, threatening to spill out into the sky. We stayed there side by side with our backs to a concrete wall for hours. Discussing things like how unpredictable life can be when you're not paying attention, and the kind of parents we'd each like to be.

It didn't shock me that Harry wants to be dedicated to our baby, and it's comforting knowing he considers it as much his, as mine. Our arrangement - as unconventional as it is; is the best outcome I could have hoped for from this situation. It's an absolute relief to know that my child will grow up with two parents that love she or he in the purest form of the word.

Stomach rumbling from hunger, I creep out into the kitchen, mindful that I have a guest. Still fast asleep, Harry lays limp on the sofa that's much too small for his long limbs. He did offer to leave at one point, but I insisted he stay, and it didn't seem right that he leave. It didn't take much persuading, but I can't deny the sudden awkward twinge of deciding where he should sleep. My bed would have been much too familiar yet at the same time foreign, but altogether weird; so I was very much relieved when he suggested the sofa.

I quietly take out the ingredients to make some blueberry pancakes, though when I open the cupboard containing all my pots and pans, a rather large pot pan falls to the floor, ringing a deafening clang around the room, causing Harry to jump to his feet.

"I'm so sorry," I cringe, still quite shocked from the loud noise. "I was instead hoping you'd wake to the smell of cooking pancakes rather than that catastrophe."

After he's gathered his bearings, he does a huge stretch before shrugging it off.