04

|»«|

|04: A Stuttered Introduction|

To say Dick was nervous was an understatement. He was absolutely frightened.

"I don't think I can do this.." He mumbled, pulling at the bottom of his shirt. He decided to dress casually during his meeting with the Hero's, feeling as though the action would make him appear less 'enemy-ish', as he put it. Completely waving off Wally's assurance that the League definitely did not think that.

"You're going to do amazing," Wally spoke up, snaking his arm around the other's waist, to be pulled into a quick hug. "I'll be right beside you the entire time. Promise."

"But, what if Batman makes you leave?" Dick countered, having remembered the countless stories the other had told him of the fearsome Dark Knight. "You said so yourself. You'd never refuse an order from 'The Batman'."

"Looks like I'm gonna have to do just that." The speedster smirked, it quickly disappearing as his lover remained as frightened as ever. Leave it to someone like Anjo to be able to face nightmarish villains, but completely collapse under the pressure of meeting a group of allies. "Trust me, Babe. Everything will be okay." He finished, gracing his lips on the other's temple.

Anf it hadn't even been several moments later when the Dark Knight showed up, his usually stoic demeanor completely expelled. Seeming to be replaced with that of.. excitement? Wally definitely had to be reading his vibe wrong. "What up, Bats!" Wally smiled, pushing his previous thoughts aside.

Batman was fairly surprised to see Wally here of all places, even more so to see his arm wrapped securely around Anjos waist. His suspicions started to rise. "Kid Flash." Batman greeted, a bit unnerved as he noticed the speedster dressed in civilian attire, which turned to curiosity as he realized Anjo was dressed the same way.

And there was something about his eyes that just screamed that Batman had seen him before. But, where?

"Have you made your decision, Anjo?" Batman finally asked, noting the discomfort of the other.

Dick nodded, clasping and unclasping his hands. "Yes. I've decided to come with you to the Watchtower." He agreed. "But, only if Wally can come too!" He quickly added, finally looking the other in the eyes.

Batman seemed to ponder this for a moment before nodding. "Of course." The other seemed relieved at this, sending a small smile to the grinning ginger. "Let's go."

And so far, it wasn't that bad. Yet. Dick still hadn't met the other Hero's, only having made it as far as entering the watchtower and walking down the hall. "Who's all going to be there?" He finally grew the courage to ask, staring at the back of the Dark Knights head.

"The main seven." Was all they said, leaving him a bit confused. He looked to Wally for help. Said hero giving his hand a light squeeze before explaining.

"He means it'll be Superman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, and himself."

Dick nodded at this, his anxiety only rising. Seven of the earth's strongest Hero's were going to be meeting him. So not asterous.

"Batman, what exactly is going to happen when Di- shit. I mean, Anjo meets the others?" Wally inquired.

"A few questions will need to be answered." Was the simple reply that came from Batman as he stopped in front of a door, it slidopen to reveal a fairly large room. A large table was centered in the middle, the six previously named Hero's seated around it. Whom if which now had all eyes on Dick.

He was already beginning to feel smothered by the attention.

No one knew what to say, so Batman took it upon himself to take action. "As you have been informed, Anjo-" He gestured a hand to said person. "-has decided to meet the League."

"Why is my nephew here?" Flash pointed out, an analytical gaze studying his nephews and Dicks intertwined hands.

"I said he could come." Was all Batman said, leading the two younger Hero's to their seats before taking his own.

"We'll start simple." Wonder Woman began, sending a gentle smile towards the slightly shaking hero. "Do you have any powers?"

Dick shook his head. "Um, No.."

She nodded at this. "Then what type of skills do you have?"

"I-I know acrobatics, hacking, and basic hand to hand fighting. So, nothing too exciting.. just enough to get by.." He mumbled. Wally shot him a look, clearly annoyed at how little credit the other gave himself.

All the while, Wonder Woman gave Batman a knowing gaze as the Dark Knight looked at Anjo with interest.

"Alright. Feel free to not answer this question if you don't want to." She assured the other nodding at this. "Why did you start fighting crime at such a young age? Is there a motive behind this?"

Dick remained silent for a few moments, no one else daring to say a word before him.

"Oh. Uh.. because of my parents. They were murdered and their killer was never caught.."

A solemn atmosphere plagued the room. A few Hero's hearts going out to the young male- Batman's especially.

Wally gripped Dicks hand a little bit tighter from beneath the table.

"I see." Wonder Woman sent him an apologetic gaze. "I'm sure they would be very proud of you."

"I guess. I don't know if most parents would be pleased seeing their child risking their life all the time.."

"What were their names? Your parents?" Batman broke in, uncharacteristically joining the conversation.

"John and Mary-" Dick answered, avoiding Batman's gaze. "Grayson.." He added, missing the realization flashing in the Dark Knights eyes.

- To Be Continued -

»A/N:

Here's chapter four for all of you. I'm super sorry for not updating yesterday! I had a long day at work. :0 It sucked. Haha.

I'll try to get started on chapter five tomorrow. Hm? Until then, have an amazing evening!

-JJ