21

| I promise. I promise. I promise. |

- Gotham City: 4 Years Earlier -

The wind blew rapidly, shaking the leaves from the trees, and sweeping up the dirt from the ground. You could see a young boy observing from his perch atop a buildings rooftop, eyes squinting behind a domino mask as he peered around. "This is so boring.." He spoke softly with a sigh, running a hand through dark hair. He adjusted himself, the cloth hugging his skin shifting with his movements. Another sigh slipped past his lips as he gazed up at the sky, his black and yellow cape fluttering around him. Time seemed to buzz on a bit longer as he stared up at the sky, not at all noticing the silhouette coming up behind him. "I want to fight someone.." He yawned.

"Always itching for a fight." The newest person sighed, making him jump in his spot.

"Who's there-! Oh.. Barbara." He acknowledged. Said girl taking a seat next to him.

"It's Batgirl." She warned with a subtle glare, punching him in the arm. He looked at her poorly made outfit that resembled Gotham's Dark Knights quite a bit.

"You're too obsessed with Batman." He stated, making an effort to poke the ears at the top of her cowl. She immediately smacked his hand away, he himself letting out a pout as he rubbed it.

"Can it, Dick." She snapped, sticking her nose in the air with a huff.

"It's Robin." Dick mocked, sending a light punch himself. He let out a cheesy smile. "Geez. You're such a rude partner-"

"Teammate." Barbara corrected, sending him a scolding finger. "And this teammate is going to surpass even Gotham's Batman. Just you watch!" She held a determined smile as she stared out across the city. "I'm going to make my mark on the world, and soon even the heavens will know the name of Barbara Gordon; The Batgirl!" Dick let out a small chuckle, earning one of her freakish glares. "What are you laughing at?"

"Nothing. Nothing." He waved off, sending his signature smirk. "Mini Batman."

"Richard John Grayson!" She yelled, standing and getting ready to deliver a hard punch. Dick raised his arms to protect his face, but they both halted once a shrill shriek broke through the air. That of a woman's.

"It's coming from that alleyway," Dick stated, standing to be level with Barbara. Both of their capes fluttering violently behind them, whilst their eyes narrowed into determining glares.

"Let's go." She stated, immediately jumping from the building.

Dick watched her for a second, letting out another loud sigh. "Always charging in ahead." He mumbled, jumping after her. "And you say I'm the one who's always itching for a fight." He mumbled, once next to her, the two running down the street as they made way for the alleyway. The woman's screams still echoing in the air. They skidded to a stop once in their desired area, a group of thugs catching their view, each armed from pocket knives to small handguns. Surrounding a trembling girl, shielding herself from their attacks. "Hey! Ugly!" Dick called, grabbing their attention. "Oh? All five of you looked this way. Could it be, you all think you're ugly?" He cackled. "Well, you're not wrong!"

"Here you go, with your lame insults." Barbara sighed.

"Hey, that one was pretty good," Dick stated with a huff, folding his arms over his chest childishly.

"It really wasn't.." Barbara added, looking back towards the thugs. A group of five. Nothing they haven't handled before. "Let me show you what a real insult is." She smirked. Dick just rolled his eyes. "Is it really that hard for you guys to find a woman, you have to kidnap one? Now that's sad!" She laughed.