17

| Thoughts |

He didn't like thinking about it. He tended not to on most occasions. Most. This, however, was not one of those occasions. This had him greedily gasping lungful's of air as he sat hunched over in his sweat-soaked bed. A handful of sheet gripped desperately in both fists. This had him staring wildly in the pitch black room in his worn apartment. Fumbling for the switch of the lamp on the nightstand next to him. Reminding him of where and when he was. That he was covered in his own sweat and not her  blood. That he was empty-handed, not gripping the lifeless body of his- that he wasn't there. Not anymore.

He didn't like thinking about it, because it reminded him of his failure, of why he couldn't take on the responsibility of a team. He didn't like thinking about it, because it had him screaming his throat raw until the memories eventually melted away, and he was left numb, and empty. Just staring out into the nothingness plaguing his vision until the early morning rays of light filtered through his curtains. Signaling a new day.

|-*-|

"You look like shit, Grayson." His partner commented, concerningly handing him a cup of coffee. He gratefully took it, immediately taking a swig of the hot beverage. "Rough night?"

"..Yeah." Dick hoarsely mumbled, trying to rub away the bags hanging below his dulled blue eyes. Jay watched him, furrowing his brows. He had taken note of how the younger had seemed to be growing more pale and distant. The bags under his eyes standing out more than the blue orbs themselves. Maybe he should take this up with Wally? He is the other's lover and deserves more than anyone to know- of course, unless he already does, and just hasn't taken any action on the matter?

"Maybe I'll drive today?" Jay offered, all the while his actions proved more of a demanding tone as he quickly opened the driver's side door, pulling Dick out and walking him over to the passenger.

"I'm fine to drive, Jay.." Dick stated as he sat down, jumping slightly as Jay closed the door a bit too loudly. "Or not.."

"I'm requesting some time off for you after today," Jay stated as he buckled himself in. Dick looked ready to argue but refrained when given a stubborn look. Courtesy of the other. "At least a week. You haven't taken any sick days yet, so you should be fine."

"I am fine."

"And I'm calling Wally so he can come down and watch you."

"No!" He quickly exclaimed, his voice cracking slightly. He cleared his throat. "Wally doesn't need to be bothered with something so trivial. I'll go home and rest, take all the time off you want me to. Just, please don't tell Wally." Not that it mattered, his lover was extremely busy with a mission at the moment and didn't have the liberty of making contact with anyone..

Jay looked at him in thought, his eyes narrowing as he pondered his words. "Fine." He ground out, ever so suspiciously. "But I expect a call from you every day."

"Okay. Deal." He nodded. His body still shaking with desperation.

|-*-|

A long sigh escaped the acrobat's lips as he hung up, having been listening to Jay scold him over the phone for the past hour. The other wasn't kidding when he said he'd call him. "You're something else, Jay." He mumbled as he tossed the device on his bed. Blankets were still thrown about as a result of last nights unwelcome wake-up call. A sour taste coated his tongue as he looked away, busying his eyes with his heroes uniform, and soon his hands as he slipped it on.

Gotham still needed Anjo, that was something he couldn't take a break from.

A light breath of air danced in front of him as he breathed out the crisp early winter air. A light blanket of snow covering the crime-infested city streets. Anjo preferred this time of year. The crime would drop immensely. It would seem even petty thugs were weak to the cold. Much like Anjo as he gave a small shudder, rubbing his arms as he stayed perched atop one of the rooftops of the buildings.

He took the time to chance thinking back to last nights nightmare. A saddening frown pulling his lips as the events of the past replayed behind his eyelids. Blood, tears, broken promises. He grits his chattering teeth together as anger boiled within in him. Anger at himself. For such a horrible mistake he had the unpleasant chance of owning. "Damn it." He cursed, shaking the thoughts away, releasing the death grip he had on his arms. He could already feel the bruises forming.

"Are you okay?"

He jumped, a shuddered gasp escaping his lips as he turned to face the new voice. No relief seeming to find him as he stared at the Dark Knight. Batman looked at him worriedly from beneath the lenses of his cowl. Lips in a thin line as he waited for an answer. "Oh. Batman." Anjo breathed, forcing a smile to his lips. "You scared me."

"I'm sorry." Batman apologized. Taking a couple steps towards the other, quickly stopping once noticing the others distressed state. "Are you okay?" He asked again, straining the words a bit.

Anjo quickly answered, "I'm fine." He smiled. "Just a bit cold is all." It was obvious the other didn't believe a word he said as he narrowed his eyes slightly. "I'm just feeling a bit under the weather is all and- hey where's Ja- er.. Robin?"

Batman didn't seem pleased with the quick change of topic, taking a moment before answering the others question. "He has a test tomorrow and I am making him study."

"Oh, bummer." Anjo chuckled. "Tests suck, especially studying. I bet he complained about wanting to patrol, huh?"

"He did. More than usual too, considering I didn't allow him to tag along with the team's mission this time." Batman sighed, thinking back to the unnecessary argument he and the teenager had had. The kid was persistent. "But it is one of his responsibilities if he wishes to keep up the mantle of Robin."

"True." Anjo hummed, nodding his head in agreement. "The hero business is cool and all, but it doesn't pay bills."

"No kidding." Batman agreed, giving a little huff as he thought back to all the money he spent on simple living expenses. Owning a manor was expensive, let alone a Batcave. He could only imagine how Anjo felt, barely making rent every month. "Have you gotten back to work?" He asked, remembering how the other had only gotten out of his cast a couple days prior.

"Yeah.." The acrobat sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. "But now my boss is having to take another week off. For my health he says." He mocked. "How does he expect me to afford rent if he keeps giving me days off?"

It was obvious that Anjo was talking to himself at this point. Batman being who he is, just took the information and stored it. All information is important if you ask him, and well.. he hasn't been wrong yet. "You could always move into the mountain?" He offered. "It'd be free?"

"I'd rather not." Anjo chuckled, thinking back to his encounter with the Kryptonian. "That and Wally would never let me live it down that I won't move in with him, but I'll move into the Mountain."

The Dark Knight nodded. Letting an awkward silence filled the area. Clearing his throat, he asked, "Since you're here, would you like to patrol with me for a little bit?"

Anjo nearly laughed at how awkward the other was being. He wasn't even looking him in the eyes. "Well, I suppose I could spare some time." He agreed, not missing the small smile tugging at the other's lips.

- To Be Continued -

A/N:

It is 3 am and I am super tired, but I am persistent to write this chapter, and I've finally done it, so yay!! I have no idea if this chapter is even good. I didn't read over it. But, when do I ever read over my chapters? Here's an answer: Never. Hahahahah!

-JJ