33

"Don't forget the chips." Wallys voice spoke over the phone, Dick rolled his eyes with an exasperated sigh.

"I won't." He stated, turning down an isle.

"Oh! And get cookies!"

"How about some apples instead?" The Acrobat offered, skimming the fruit. "Or maybe some oranges.."

"No!" Wallys voice broke in, his tone whiney.

"I have been living off of junkfood for two months now." Dick stated, throwing some much desired fruits into his basket. "And my metabolism isn't as fast as yours so we're ditching the cookies."

"You're horrible!"

"Sue me." The Acrobat stated, hanging up. He ran his fingers through his hair until he was rubbing tiredly at his neck, glancing around the area, before he let out a small gasp of realization. "We need milk."

"Yes I'm on my way home now." Dick spoke into the phone, lugging around a small bit of groceries through the dead of night.

"Alright just be safe. It may not be Gotham, but it's still dangerous at night." Wally stated.

"Of course I will." Dick promised. "I'll be home in a bit. Love you." His phone was slid into his back pocket as he made a turn down an unusually packed street. People were crowding the area, phones pulled out and filming. While hands were drawn to mouths with terrified gasps. And Dick could see why.

"Everyone back away!" A police officer yelled, ushering others back while firemen ran past, hose in hand and a roaring flame in front of them. "Miss get back!" He yelled to a hysterical woman. "It's too dangerous!" She desperately continued trying to push past him, hands reaching out to the open air as she yelled,

"My little boy is still in there!"

Dick couldn't say what possessed him then and there. Possibly the mentality he had when he was a hero? All he knew was the bag of groceries in his hands were discarded and he was easily passing the few officers trying to grab him and hold evryone back. He wasn't aware of what he was doing until the heat was licking at his skin and the roaring of flames were echoing in his ears.

"Hello?!" He called out as loudly as his already smoke polluted lungs could muster. "Can you hear me?!" It remained quiet- or as quiet as it was going to get as he pressed on towards the stairs. Debris littering the steps, making it so he could barley walk up. "Hello?!" He called again, shielding his face as a bit more debris fell next to him.

He glanced around the hallway, before the building gave another shake. He had to balance himself before he fell over, and almost did when a terrified scream grabbed his attention. "Hey!" He called out, running. "Where are you?!" Another scream. Louder even as he looked at a closed door, slowly being covered in flames.

He immediately kicked it in. Wood splintering off as he ran in. "Are you in here?!" He called before freezing. Hearing small whimpers coming from a small coat closet. He immediately opened the doors finding a small boy; no older than seven huddled in there. His eyes red and his cheeks wet as he looked at Dick with trembling lips. "Hey." Dick spoke softly, kneeling to his level. "It's okay," he started, reaching out. But the boy moved away from his touch with a small scared whimper. "Hey it's okay. I'm- I'm a hero." Dick encouraged, his heart skipping a beat as he heard a bit more debris fall a distance away.

"Like.." The boy began, looking at Dick warily. "Like Superman?" He whispered as Dick caught a glimpse of his shirt. The man of steels symbol plain to see.

Dick smiled wider. "Yeah. Just like Superman. I even know him!" Dick stated.

"You do?" The boy hesitantly asked before looking at Dick a bit more. "But you don't look like a.. Hero."

"That's because it's my day off." Dick beamed, he heard a bit more debris falling closer to them as be reached his hand out a bit more hesitantly. "But we need to go. Okay?"

The boy hesitantly grabbed his hand, only to fling himself into Dicke chest when he heard a thundering boom shake the building. Dick immediately picked him up in his arms and turned towards the door, only to see a plank of burning wood blocking it. "We're trapped!" The boy yelled in fear.

"No. No. We're fine." Dick soothed, setting him down. "Stay right here and cover your eyes." He instructed. The other nodded before placing their palms over their eyes. The Acrobat ran to the window. Shoving his foot into it as glass shattered everywhere. "Okay. Come here." He ushered the boy over as he slipped off his jacket, laying it over the glass. "Okay, I'm going to climb out and when I say, I want you to climb out as well, and jump into my arms. Can you do that?"

"What if you don't catch me?!" The boy yelled, tears already welling up in his eyes once more.

"I promise I will." Dick smiled, "I'm a hero, remember. Like Superman."

The other nodded. "Okay."

"Okay." Dick sighed in relief, before slowly climbing out. The screams and gasps of civilians echoing around as they saw him. He was slightly dangling off the edge, only a few floors above the ground. "Okay!" He called as the boys head poked out the window. "Come on." Dick ushered, his arm reaching out. The other nodded fearfully as another boom echoed from the building. The boy had climbed out, his legs dangling over the edge as he looked at the ground and then to Dick.

"It's so high!" He cried out.

"It's okay!" Dick urgently continued to urge on as he listened to another boom shake the building. "I promise! I'll catch you!" The boy gave another terrified nod as he prepared himself to jump, but another shake of the building threw off his balance and he was flung off. A terrified scream ripped its way from the crowd; no one as loud as the hysterical mother watching her child fall.

Dick lunged, his arm wrapping around the boys torso, while his other hand grabbed desperately to another window ledge. They were dangling a moment, Dicks body straining as he adjusted the other in his arms. The boy wrapping his small arms tightly around the acrobats neck with a terrible tremble. "Its okay. Its okay." Dick soothed, sucking in a hiss of pain as his grip on the ledge strained a bit. "I caught you. Just like I promised." The other nodded as they looked towards Dick.

"How are we going to get down?"

"Do you like to climb?" Dick asked. The boy nodded. "Great!" He flashed a wide grin. "Okay, so I want you to carefully climb onto my back. Can you do that?"

"Yeah." The boy agreed, slowly moving to the acrobats back. The building exploded with another boom as the other secured his arms around Dicks neck once more.

"Okay." Dick sighed with relief now that both of his arms were free. "I'm going to climb down now. Hang on tight, okay?" He felt the boys grip tighten in response as he slowly started making his way down the building.

It didn't take long until Dicks feet had touched the ground and he was handing the child back to his mother. Her relieved cries echoing louder than before as she held her son tight. "Thank you! Thank you!" She sobbed to the acrobat before he felt small fingers gripping his shirt.

He knelt down, smiling as the young boy looked down at the ground shyly before back up at Dick. "Thank you for saving me."

Dick ignored the flashing of cameras, making sure to shield his face. "You're welcome. You were very brave."

The boy finally returned the smile as he asked. "What's your hero name?"

Dick leaned into his ear and whispered, "It's Anjo." He leaned back. "But that's a secret, okay?"

The boy nodded before ushering Dick closer, now leaning into his own ear. "You're now my favorite, Anjo."

Dick leaned back and stared at the other in amazement, before his grin grew wider than it had been in months.

- To Be Continued -