20

Kid Flash slowly came to thanks to the worried calls of his teammates. Vision blurry and body throbbing, a small whimper of pain slithered up his throat. Biting his lip to the point of metallic was coating his tongue, to suppress the screams wanting to make their way out, just from simply lifting his head. "Kid!" Artemis called, hand cradled to her chest. "Can you hear me?"

"What-" Kid Flash broke off into ragged coughs, the movement shaking his body, as well as his many broken bones. The worse of it being his shattered arm, which he took note of how it was slowly going numb. That couldn't be a good sign.

"Don't speak." Aqualad quickly stated, kneeling next to the other. A few hours had passed since the Joker had obtained his desired information. Having had them all thrown into a small cell located on the lowest floor of the huge hideout. They all shared their fair share of injuries as well as inhibitor collars. With Artemis being the exception. However, out of them all. The speedster remained the worse. Some feared it was touch and go for a little while. What would they've done if they lost him? They didn't know.

"Where- where did Joker go..?" Kid Flash whispered, eyes heavy with exhaustion as, he leaned his head back against the wall he was leaned against, looking over at Aqualad expectantly. The Atlantian didn't dare look him in the eyes. Guilt having stabbed at him ever since his team had endured such torturous acts. "He.. he was asking about Anjo..?" He continued, unmistakable tears welling up in his eyes. "Do you think-?"

"I do not know." Aqualad finally spoke, shamefully looking at the ground. "But I fear Anjo may be in danger."

The others watched as the tears fell from the speedsters eyes. Their hearts breaking at the sight. A mixture of pain, exhaustion, and worry. The tears were expected at this point. Yet it still hurt to see. "I was supposed to- to protect him." Kid Flash sobbed. "And now he might be hurt because- because of me."

"No." A familiar voice chuckled. Everyone freezing where they were. Kid Flash glared angrily at the clown, tears falling harder as he took note of the fresh blood littering his clothes. "It's because of her," Joker stated, nodding towards Artemis. "She was the one who told me where to find him." Artemis quickly looked away, glaring at her lap.

"What did you do?" Kid Flash growled, letting out a gasp of pain as he tried to sit up, ultimately failing and leaning back into the wall.

The sound of clattering metal caught their attention as a bloodied crowbar clanked against the bars of the cell. "Nothing out of the ordinary." The madman hummed. A twisted grin pulling at his lips. "Oh, but you should've heard how.. beautiful his screams were. And his blood." He let out a satisfied moan. "How deliciously red it was. Blended with his pale skin perfectly." The others wanted to vomit as they listened to his description, shock and fear ripping its way through their body. "I'm surprised he's still alive."

"Where is he?" Kid Flash snapped, heavy breathes slipping past his lips as he fought to ignore the pain.

"Kid, please." Aqualad pleaded, gently touching his shoulder. He glared at the madman. "Tell me where Anjo is." He stated, standing from his place next to the speedster. He took a firm spot in front of the Joker, eyes glaring heavily.

"Oh? Is the leader finally speaking up?" Joker cooed. "About time, hm? It seems everyone holds a soft spot for this. Anjo fella. Even Batsy. Which is why I just had to meet him myself!" He sighed, a bit of disappointment lacing his next sentence. "Although, I don't see why. The guys as weak as they come. Although, he can take quite the beating." That brought the smile back to his face. "Maybe I'll see if he's up for round two?" He looked wickedly at Kid Flash. "Maybe I'll ask him?"

"You bastard." The speedster growled, a fit of coughs shaking his body as he swallowed down the blood.

Joker walked away with a hum, ignoring Kid Flash as he demanded he leaves the acrobat alone. But, this was the Joker we're talking about, and the guy definitely isn't one to listen to others. So, as the team listened to him stroll down the hallway- heels clicking against the stone pavement- they were left angry and useless as painful cries of pain echoed in their ears moments later. The others now aware of just how close Anjo actually was.

"Joker- Joker!" The speedster called out, desperately trying to force himself to his feet. The others immediately intervened once noticing the bit of blood seeping out of the wounds he broke open. "No! I need to get to him!" Aqualad being the one to hold him down whilst the others stood off to the side.

Anjos cries of pain grew as did Jokers manic laughs, the others listening as the metal crowbar made contact with skin.

"Wally stop!" Aqualad yelled, still holding said speedster down. Kid Flash squirmed in his grip. "If you keep moving like this, you'll die!"

"But-!" Kid Flash called out in ragged breathes. Listening as his lover's cries began weakening. "Dick! He's going to-" Blood seeped past his lips as he looked pleadingly up at the Atlantian.

"There's nothing we can do," Aqualad stated. The others looking at the speedster sadly. "I'm sorry."

"But that's-" Kid Flash began, eyes tearful as he listened to Anjo's cries disappear, that madman's laugh staying. "He can't.. He has already been through -" Sobs ripped their way past his lips as tears trickled out the corner of his eyes. "Oh god."

"I'm sorry, Wally." Aqualad apologized.

"Dick." The speedster sobbed, shielding his eyes with his good arm. "I'm so sorry."

- To Be Continued -