End

It rained. Poured harder than the steady stream of tears slipping down everyone's cheeks- as though the world was mourning with them. Mourning the soulless body laid peacefully within the coffin. Empty. It was just empty like the holes filling forming deep within everyone's hearts. Some bigger than others- some completely consuming them.

"Wally.." Barry began, his hesitant hand curling around his nephews shoulder. But Wally said nothing. Didn't cry. Just laid his empty gaze upon the body within the box that would soon house his lovers remains forever. "I'm so sorry." Barry finally said. Because he was- everyone was. Dick didn't deserve to die and Wally didn't deserve to be left here mourning forever.

It truly wasn't fair.

The ginger swallowed thickly, slowly blinking, before asking, "Have you found Jason yet?" The roughness of his voice had Barry frowning.

"No." He finally sighed. "Bruce is still searching for him, but it's like he's dropped off the face of the earth."

All Wally could do was nod. Just stood there and felt as the rain trickled down his face, the sky crying for him.

"- and even though The League wasn't fortunate enough to officially welcome Anjo as one of our own, we will still be declaring him as such and honoring him with his own statue within the Hall of Justice. This way, the rest of the world can learn about the hero Anjo and everything he had done." Wallys gaze moved to stare at Superman, the Man of Steel looking over the group of hero's silently listening to his speech. Batman and Wonder Woman stood at either side. All adorning a most painful frown upon each of their faces.

"Anjo will not be forgotten." Batman finally added. A chorus of quiet agreements coming from the crowd with some nods.

It was painful to watch the casket be carried towards its grave. Batman and Wally leading on either side as others close to the acrobat shouldered the rest. It was almost silent. Just the splatter of raindrops hitting against the ground the only thing being heard.

Wally couldn't hear much of anything after that- rather he couldn't bring himself to. The words others spoke were like a quiet hum to his ears as he watched the dirt get shoveled atop his lover before he found himself slowly walking away with a heart housing nothing but sorrow.

He quickly gave up the life of a hero after that. No one hearing from him since.

Jason never attended the funeral. Never returned to the manor or to the mantle of Robin. He too disappeared the night Anjo lost his life. Batman spending months tirelessly looking for him, but never finding anything. It wasn't until a year later did he give up his search, claiming "If Jason wanted to be found he would've been."

It felt as though the hero's had lost another comrade after that. Anjo, Wally and now Jason. It felt as though the world was cruelly splitting everyone up one by one. The team especially. Missions were rarely a success and the teams life's seemed to be at risk more and more until finally Batman called it.

One year and three months after Anjos death the Team was disbanded. Forced to go their own separate ways. Whether it be under the arm of their mentors or back to their cities where they were ordered to live a civilian life until of age to join the League-but it mattered not because the hero's had again lost another great asset.

Everything seemed to be falling apart like a puzzle missing a single piece.

"It's been a while Walls." Jay smiled, but it never reached his eyes as he stared at the speedster across the table.

Wally nodded with a small sigh, rubbing at the stubble on his face before taking a swig of the coffee in his hand. "Sorry I haven't been in touch."

"Nah don't sweat it. I'm just glad you agreed to meet up." Jay waved off, letting his gaze wander out the window and into the busy streets of Gotham. "What have you been up to anyhow?"

Wally shrugged. "I've been studying to get into the police academy." He admitted. "Dick wanted to get rid of the bad eggs on the force.. thinking I may as well pick up where he left off."

Jay rose a brow. "You mean in Gotham?" Leaning forward once Wally nodded. "Have you lost your mind West? This is no place for someone like you. This is- well this is Gotham for fuck sakes."

"I've made up my mind, Jay." Wally stated. "I want to work for the GCPD."

"Well that's just-" Jay sighed as he leaned back in his seat, rubbing at his face. "Well if that's what you want, I'll be waiting for you." He smiled. "Been needing a new partner since.."

Both men's gaze dropped to the table. "Yeah." Wally whispered before clearing his throat. "I'll do my best." He finally smiled, but just like Jays, it didn't quite meet his eyes.

Jay returned the smile. "Sounds good partner." His radio coming to life moments later declaring multiple bodies believed to belonging to local mob bosses or gang members found without their heads. Wally and Jay both shooting looks towards one another.

"You don't think it's Joker again, do you?" Jay asked, but Wally quickly shook his head.

"No, I've checked. He's still locked up."

"Then who?-" Both men where silenced as a motorcycle came speeding quickly down the street, followed closely by the batmobile. A red helmet catching Wallys gaze before both vehicles disappeared rounding a corner.

"Never a dull night in Gotham." Jay sighed. Tossing a few bills on the table as both he and Wally stood up.

"Can't wait to join the action." Wally smirked, both men exiting the building and saying a quick good bye. Jay getting into his vehicle and taking off down the street with his sirens blaring while Wally stuffed his hands into his pockets and slowly began his venture home. That red helmet still fresh on his mind.

End

Author Note:

Wow. Three years later and I've finally finished what I thought would be a short story.

And I'm so thankful for those of you who stuck with me this long 🥺 you're all so appreciated. All I can really say is thank you so so much for the support. ❤️

JJ