18

| We Don't Know |

Things had gone rather smoothly between Anjo's and The Dark Knights surprise patrol together. Having apprehended a few thugs unnecessary of naming, as well as uncovering a trail leading to one of Gotham's more notorious villain; The Riddler. Anjo remembers having a run in with the man once or twice a while back. He quickly came to the conclusion that the man lives up to his name. Having endured hours of brain racking words as he followed the trail to a string of thievery and murder. Something he would admit wasn't one of the jobs he usually took. As he stated before, he focused on the little guys. But, it was hard doing so when said madman was constantly in the spotlight and Batman was struggling with other things at the time.

He traced his hand over the scar on his stomach. Having received it when the man pulled a blade from his cane and sliced at his skin during that encounter all those years ago. Oh, how it had burned. Tossing his shirt to the side, he opted not turning on his light, having grown more accustomed to the dark. It had been this way for the past couple days. Just him alone in his dark apartment. Wally has not shown his presence since him and the team was sent on that scouting mission. Something about The Legion of Doom. Wally, as well as Batman, had assured him that it would be a long mission. As stated, Jason not at all thrilled when told he wouldn't be participating.

Honestly, he was worried but quickly brushed it off as his untamable anxiety. Of course, he would be worried. With that madman having joined the Legions ranks.

Maybe he should pay the Mountain a visit?

Well, he wasn't surprised when he found it completely deserted. Although it was a bit unnerving how quiet everything was and how dull the room smelled. Usually filled with M'ganns cooking. But, what really sent a chill down his spine was how oddly familiar the atmosphere was when Conner attacked him. Thankfully it wouldn't happen again, but he still got nightmares. An idea seemed to grab his attention as he found himself wandering towards the debriefing room, making himself comfortable in front of the computer. He knew it was a bit invasive, but he was really curious as to where the team was. Who knows? Maybe he'll head to where they are and see if they needed any assistance? That sounds like a good idea.

So, he did what he was good at. He hacked the system. Making sure to steer clear of any files containing personal information. He wasn't some intrusive kid that would steal information and use it to his advantage. He was a hero and heroes don't pry. At least.. he doesn't. Batman was a different story.

His eyes skimmed the words as he absorbed the information. It wasn't that far of a trip. Just outside of Gotham in Slaughter Swamp. He heard the stories of the countless encounters of the League and the Legion. One involving Mirror Master having broken into the Batcave and obtaining life-threatening information. Why Gotham's Clown Prince himself had joined the ranks with Bane already being there was something he didn't know. But, then again. Nothing Joker does make any sense. Well, most of the time.

But, this brought up another question; Why did the League send the Team to get information on The Legion of Doom when they were known as highly dangerous? Are the crazy? "Cheetah, Star Sapphire, Bane, Metallo, Mirror Master, Ma'alefa'ak, and now The Joker." Anjo mumbled skimming over the names, and of course, he couldn't leave out the prideful Vandal Savage. His brows furrowed as he continued to skim over the words, completely oblivious to the few distraught Leaguers entering the room. One in particular immediately spotted the acrobat, excusing himself as he walked over. "Anjo?" A familiar speedsters voice spoke. If the other was startled, he hid it well.

"Flash!" He exclaimed, turning to face the other. "Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman too!" He quickly added, already fumbling over his words. "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be at the Tower or something?"

"What are you doing here, kid?" Flash cut in, his entire being screaming panic. Anjo quickly took notice of this, as well as how all the other heroes seemed to be in the same position.

Who could blame them for being such a way? They were extremely worried because it has officially been 24 hours since they had lost communication with the Team. The last message they receiving having been a panicked Kid Flash. Telling them not to let Anjo know and to keep him safe.

And of course the other didn't, at least not yet. But it was obvious he would receive an answer by the way he studied all of them. "What happened?" He didn't hesitate to ask, his gaze going from the Dark Knights to the now sweating speedster.

"Uh.. nothing. We just wanted to know why you're in the Mountain and looking at-" He seemed to falter as he noticed the documents pulled up on the screen. 'The Legion of Doom' painfully obvious to see. "What- why are you looking at those?"

"I thought I'd go and help the Team," Anjo said, his words slow and cautious. The Kryptonian and Amazonian sent Batman a worried gaze as he seemed to be holding his breath. Batman quickly intervened, not giving Flash a chance to say anything more. He wasn't known for being quiet in the League after all.

"No." Batman denied, moving Flash aside. Superman and Wonder Woman taking a spot behind him. Anjo started to feel a bit intimidated.

"Why- why not?" He stuttered out, clearing his throat. He looked Batman in his eyes. Speaking again. "What happened?"

"Nothing that concerns you-"

"What. Happened.?" He asked again, a bit more forcefully. The others were a bit surprised by his tone of voice, but who could blame him. He knew something was wrong and that it concerned the team. It concerned Wally. Like hell, it didn't concern him. "What happened to the team?"

"We don't know." Batman sighed after a moment. The other's heart seemed to drop into his stomach.

"What do you mean?" Anjo's voice started to heighten with urgency as he looked between the four, waiting for an explanation. "Is the team alright? Did the mission-"

"We don't know, Anjo," Batman stated again. "We lost contact with them."

Remember that little bit about anxiety where Anjo always chose to ignore it, thinking he was being irrational? Well. now wasn't one of those times. He was on the edge of completely losing his shit, horrible outcomes swimming around in his brain as he thought about what the others words could possibly mean. Lost contact with them how? Did a transmission error happen? Maybe the others just refused to answer back? Surely it couldn't possibly mean they were captured or.. Anjo quickly closed his eyes, taking in quick uneven breathes. "Are- are they okay?" He gasped out.

"We- uh.. we don't know." Wonder Woman said sadly.

"Stop telling me you don't know!" He snapped, startling the others from how loud his voice was. His words seemed to echo off the walls as everyone went quiet. "You-you're their mentors, how do you not know what's happened to them- are they alive? Are they okay-?" Breathing seemed to become a chore for the acrobat as his intake of air seemed to become a bit more laborious. "They- They're still alive, right?"

"We don't know."

"Hey kid, you need to calm down." Flash cut in, stepping in finally whilst the others looked worriedly at the acrobat.

"Are they alive? Is he alive? Wally- is he alive? Please- please tell me something-something. Anything.." He was beginning to get darkened vision as his ears started ringing. He had officially been consumed by his anxiety, and it was doing the only thing it knew how to. It was attacking him. Halting his breathing and rationality as he ignored the others, collapsing to his knees. "Please tell me he's- okay."

- To Be Continued -