39

He was leaning against the wall trying to support his own bodyweight. The gasps of pain that broke out through his velvet stained lips like music to Jokers ears. "You see bird boy," Joker began, his eyes widening with joy along with his torn grin. "In this situation you're what we call the 'bait'."

Robin straightened himself out on shaking legs as he glared through the hair sticking to his face. "What?" He gasped out, the word itself making pain shoot through his throat and explode in his lungs as he found himself falling back down to his knees.

Blood splattered from his lips as coughs tore their way through his body. The clowns grin widening they approached them.

"Oh looks like a bit of internal bleeding." Joker hummed, kneeling down beside the young hero. "That has got to hurt." The clown stood back up, fixing his suit. "But you were trained by Batman, so I assume you can handle it."

Robin's glare was deadly as he looked at the man before him. "Go to hell." He growled, spitting blood on Jokers shoe.

The clown frowned heavily as he looked at the blood on the tip of his foot, "Oh my, now this certainly won't do." Robin let out a strangled gasp as Joker grabbed a handful of his hair and harshly slammed his face down into the pavement floor. "I see you've forgotten your manners." The madman seethed, bringing Robins head back up and slamming it down once more.

Blood was pooling on the ground as the boy wonder struggled to breathe. "But don't worry, I'm here to remind you." A small laugh slipped past Jokers lips as he released his grip on Robins hair, letting him fall, clutching his face to hopefully soothe some of the pulsing pain.

Pulling out a rag from his pocket, Joker wiped the blood from his shoe before throwing it to the side of Robins head. "Now as I was saying; you're the bait-"

"Batman won't fall for your tricks, bastard." Robin stated with a low growl.

Jokers grin widened. "Oh no. Not Batman."

Dick and Wally were both watching as Batman paced the room, the worry radiating off the Dark Knight in waves. "He went out as Robin." Batman stated. "That paints a bigger target on his back."

"I'm sure we'll find him." Wally tried to assure. Dick bit his lip nervously as he thought about where the boy wonder would be.

"So many people want to get back at Batman.." The Dark Knight continued. "And what better way than using Robin?"

"We'll look for him." Wally cut in. "We can even ask the team to help. Whoever has him will have to pop up eventually. If this really is about you, then whoever has Jason will be making an appearance soon."

"He's too inexperienced. He'll get cocky." Batman mumbled, completely blocking the other two out as he continued his own conversation with himself. "Purposely antagonize them and-"

A gentle hand graced his shoulder as his gaze locked with Dicks. The acrobats eyes blossoming with his own worry, but he pulled his lips into a reassuring smile as he said, "You need to calm down." His ever so wavering smile grew as he added, "Batman doesn't lose focus. He keeps his eyes on the mission. And this mission needs your full attention now."

The Dark Knight reached up and placed his hand on the others as he let out a long sigh, expelling the fear in his chest as he nodded. "You're right. We need a plan." He quickly started walking away as he stated. "I'll have every hero scouring Gotham if I have to. I will find my son."

Robins breathes came out in wheezes as he laid unmoving on the ground. Blood caking over his body as his dull eyes stared at the barren wall before him. "Now that was a blast." Jokers voice mused as a rusted crowbar fell to the ground with an echoing boom. "But Uncle J needs to go out for a bit." The clown pulled on his purple dress coat as he glanced back at the still unmoving boy wonder. "Try not to have too much fun while I'm away! Okay?" He grinned, slamming the door shut behind him.

Robins eyes lazily traveled to the now closed door. His gaze lingering on it for several moments before he finally forced his throbbing body to move. A small whine of pain slipping past his bleeding lips as he crawled onward. Blood painting the ground as he eventually made it to the door. His shaking hand reaching for the doorknob.

Only for a stiffled sob to bubble up from his throat as he easily realized it was locked.

Both the team and the League were flooding throughout Gotham. Civilians watching on in awe as Superman could be seen hovering overhead and Flash was zig-zagging through the streets.

"I never thought I'd see the day you'd let people in." Gordan scoffed, the light trickle of cigarette smoke dancing into the air as he leaned against the batsignal.

"Robin's missing." Batman stated, his eyes narrowing into a much more prominent glare as he stared out into the city. "His life isn't worth my own selfish beliefs."

"You better find that kid, Batman." Gordan said. His gaze meeting the Dark Knights. "You understand me? As a father grieving his own loss, I will do everything to prevent it from happening to someone else."

"I will, Jim." Batman spoke, returning his gaze back out to the city. "I promise."

The team gathered at the center of the city. Going over their own search plans as Anjo quickly gave them a rundown of Gotham. "You're not here to fight our fight." The acrobat stated, looking at each hero carefully. "You're here to find Robin. Don't keep any information to yourself, don't go off on your own, and do not underestimate anyone here. This isn't Central, Star or even Metropolis. This is Gotham and this is where things are real."

The all nodded in understanding, some with a gulp. But nonetheless they understood. "We'll split up in different directions and help search." Kid Flash added. "If you find him, immediately call for backup."

And with one final nod, everyone took off. Searching for the mission boy wonder.

- to be continued -