36

"You've pulled a lot of stupid stunts before, Robin. But this is-" Wally pinched the bridge of his nose a moment as a long sigh trickled past his lips. He looked back to the young hero. "You know better." Both Jay and Robin stood still as statues, eyes drawn to their feet in shame. "You're lucky Dick is out right now and that he- I mean, what were you even thinking? Dick and I left for his protection, remember? And Jay," Wally grabbed the officers shoulder. "I love you man, I really do, but you shouldn't have come here."

Jay immediately shrugged off the others hand at those words as he sent a hard glare Wallys way. "Shouldn't have come?" He repeated in a heated whisper. His voice rising. "Shouldn't have come?! In case you forgot, Dick was my partner. He was my best friend, and you- the man he loves, the man I trusted, lied to me- let him lie to me!" A firm finger was slammed into Wallys chest. "Shouldn't have come?! I mourned for him, Wally! I mean, do you have any idea what it was like opening his apartment door to find blood everywhere. To not find a body?! I thought he was dead! I thought-"

Jay took in a shuddered breathe as he tightly screwed his eyes shut to stop the burning of tears. "I just don't understand why he would just leave?" He finally admitted. "So like hell I wouldn't come!"

Robin watched the other sadly, he understood how Jay felt. He too thought Dick had died that night. When Batman had called and told him the other was missing and there was no doubt Joker was behind it, he was out of that cave in seconds. And when Batman had walked out of that fortess, with Dick nearly dead in his arms.. He couldn't deny a part of him wanted nothing more than to go after that bastard clown.

"Look," Wally bagan, grabbing Robins and Jays attention once more. "A lot.. happened to Dick. It messed him up. Bad. And he and I agreed that he needed a break from.. everything."

"So your solution was faking his death?" Jay interrupted with a harsh snap. Wally studied the other a moment with a partially raised brow and a not at all amused look.

"We didn't fake anything. GCPD declared Dick dead themselves, and he didn't see the point in hassling himself trying to explain how he was alive, and what had happened to him." Wally shrugged a little too half-heartedly as he stated, "That's all there is to it."

"Like hell that is!" Jays voice echoed down the hall, while Wally immediately shushed him, but the other wasn't listening. "I want to know what exactly happened to him! Why was he being so secretive and distant days before he disappeared?! Who attacked him?! Why did they attack him?! And how the hell does he know this kid?!" He pointed to Robin harshly whilst the other immediately smacked his hand away stating that it was 'rude to point'.

"I don't care if it's rude!" Jay snapped once more. The three continuing to argue amongst themselves and ignored the new sound of footsteps echoing down the hallway as a familiar figure came into a view.

Covered in ash and adorning slightly singed clothes. He continued to carry a few bags of groceries in each hand and a bright smile on his face. A smile that immediately widened when seeing Robin, and immediately fell into a confused frown when spotting Jay.

Dick stilled, his eyes wide and his hands immediately shaking as Jay and Wally continued to argue. Robin being the one to spot the stunned acrobat. "Dick." He called, the fear in his voice more obvious than the sun in the sky on a clear day. Both Dicks boyfriend and best friend had immediately locked their eyes on him. But it was Wally who spoke first once noticing his appearance.

"Babe! What happened?!" The speedster was just about to run to his lover's side- but Robin immediately grabbed him and pulled him back. "Ack! What the hell?!-"

"Walk don't run." Robin reminded with a sideways glance Jays way, before letting the ginger go so he could walk to Dicks side.

"I uh-" Dick bagn, fumbling over his words as he and Jay remained locked in a fierce staring contest.

"You're covered in ash- and your hands are all cut up and burned!" Wally continued to point out as he inspected the other. "You were just supposed to grab groceries!"

"There was a fire." Dick blurted out before finally pulling his gaze away from Jay. "A boy got trapped inside so.."

"So you went charging in after him, didn't you?" Robin finished with a knowing smirk.

"The firefighters wouldn't have made it in time if I hadn't." Dick immediately defended with a light pout. He looked to Wally once more as he whispered- the fear all too noticeable in his voice, "Why is Jay here?" He spared a glance at the officer.

"Ask Rob." Wally sighed as he took the groceries out of the others hands. "Come on," he instructed, leading Dick and the other two into the apartment. Wally immediately kicked the door closed once everyone had successfully entered, dropping the groceries on a counter in the kitchen before making his way down the hall towards the bathroom to grab a first aid kit.

The other three stood around awkwardly as the ginger returned, forcing all three of them to take a seat in the living room before he finally started treating Dicks hands. "Are you guys just gonna stare at each other all night?" He finally asked, breaking the delicate silence in the room. Not once moving his gaze from his lover's hands.

"I um-" Dick began, his frown deepening as he looked Jay in the eyes and admitted. "I have a lot I need to tell you."

"Yes, you do." Jay agreed, folding his arms over his chest and leaning back into his seat.

Dick sighed, "Let me start from the beginning- back when I was a performer for Halys Circus."

- To Be Continued -