38

There's just one problem with having a base in a cave. When people yell, it's loud. Really loud.

"You took it too far tonight! We needed answers and you let your anger get the best of you!"

"He was going to shoot you!"

"You shattered his collarbone, Jason! We needed him scared not in shock!" Bruce ripped the cowl from his face as he glared at the seething teen. "Joker escaped from Arkham five days ago! That's fives days too long! Those men were going to give us a lead to find him and you-!"

"I saved your life!"

"And killed many others by letting that madman run loose even longer!"

Jason stopped, a flash of hurt in his eyes as he gripped his mask tightly within his balled fist. "I-" He bit his tongue, glaring fiercely at the ground. "Whatever." He was quick to take his leave, stomping up the stairs and disappearing into the manor.

Bruce sighed loudly to himself as he sank down into his seat in front of the computer, rubbing tiredly at his face. "I take it patrol didn't go quite go so well tonight, Master Bruce?"

"He's out of control Alfred." Bruce admitted.

"He's 13."

"He knows better." Bruce stated, standing from his seat.

"Master Bruce, with all due respect, you weren't quite as cool headed as you are now when you were his age." Alfred snipped, raising a brow as he watched the man he had grown to call his own pace the room. "Master Jason is still very new to this life and I am sure he shares your anger towards the Joker just as well. He just needs patience in order to learn patience."

Bruce didn't disagree with the old butler but he didn't verbally agree either as he retook his seat in his chair. "I need to go over and see if I missed anything." He mumbled, pulling up documentations of Joker once more.

Alfred shook his head, but said nothing more on the matter. Quietly making his way out of the cave and up into the manor to find Jason. Hoping a nice cup of warm chocolate and a small chat would cheer the angry teen up.

His worn hands knocked lightly on the wooden door housing Jason's room as he called out, "Master Jason, are you in at the moment?" He waited a few seconds, sighing when he received no reply. "Do pardon my intrusion." He called once more, slowly creaking open the door. "I understand Master Bruce is stubborn in his own way, but he only worries-"

The already heavy frown on Alfreds face deepened as he stared into the empty room, his gaze lingering on the open window. "Oh my."

Robin trudged angrily through the dampened streets of Gotham as he occasionally mumbled angrily to himself. He was currently making way for the nearby zeta beam the Justice League kept in Gotham, hoping to make his trip to Central much shorter, and his visit to Dick and Wally come all the more quickly.

It was just a few more blocks. Nothing he couldn't handle.

He'd walk the dark streets of Gotham numerous times. Way before he even dawned the mantle of Robin.

He would be just fine.

Rounding a corner, he easily disappeared into one of the darkened alleyways, his gaze finding the zeta beam he was seeking, but his eyes quickly widened when he saw a silhouette leaning against the wall next to it.

His body instinctively froze as his instincts quickly began screaming for him to turn around and run.

But he'd walk the dark streets of Gotham numerous times.

He would be just fine. Right?

"My my, what a pleasant surprise this is." Their slimy voice cooed into the air as a lengthy row of stained teeth appeared in the darkness.

A nervous chill raced down the boy wonders spine as he watched them take a step forward. He quickly taking a step back. A long delighted chuckle slipped past those stained teeth as their owner stepped out into the light, wide crazed eyes staring Robin down like a starved dog looking at a piece of meat. "Word on the street is you and Batsy are looking for me?"

They ran a boney hand through greasy green hair before spreading out their arms like a prize on display. "Well here I am! The Joker in the flesh!"

Jokers slim body seemed to move unnaturally he leaned forward slightly and let his head tilt harshly to it's side. "Now why don't you be a good little audience and just scream with joy for me!"

Dick sighed contently to himself as he snuggled closer into Wallys arms. The unnaturally quick rhythm of the speedsters heart slowly lulling him to sleep.

"I don't get it." Wally mumbled out through a mouthful of food. The acrobat mearly hummed in response. "If this Quicksilver guy is so fast then why the hell didn't he just push the two of them out of the way? Why push something in front of them and then take the bullets himself? I mean, it probably slowed him down a little bit just finding the strength to push something that big!"

Wally quickly shoveled another handful of food into his mouth before continuing. "I could've pushed them both out of the way, taken each bullet, and made a smiley face with them before anyone could even blink."

"Wally?" Dick sighed tiredly.

"What?"

"It's just a movie. Now shush."

The ginger smirked as he stared down at the man in his arms. "It's only ten and you're tired?"

"Yes now shush."

"Awe but babe," Wally began, leaning his head down slightly. "The nights still young and we're still young. Two fit men with a lot of stamina to spare~"

Dick chose to ignore the heat in his skin as he forced his eyes to stay closed. "Plus we still got the suits in the closet if you're up for a bit of role-"

The ringing of a phone startled them both as the acrobat took this as an opportunity to sneak away and answer it. Leaving Wally on the couch to pout. "Always something getting in the way." The ginger mumbled as Dick picked up the phone.

"Hello?"

"Is Jason there?" Bruce's voice immediately asked and Dick couldn't stop the familiar feeling of anxiety from forming in his stomach.

"No. Why? What happened?"

There was a small sigh. "We got into an argument and he snuck out. I can't find him."

"We're on our way."

- To Be Continued -

Authors nooooote number whatever:

So..

We're doing this again. The whole I promise to update more and then disappear for months on end. Ah ha ha.. Wow. You'd think I'd learn by now.

Also before any of you come at me for Jasons age, he is actually older than he should be. Dick is like 7 years older than Jason in the comics. And I doubt y'all want an 11 year old Robin. Because I sure don't.

And also! I published a fully written book. Its called 'Fear the Reaper'. It's actually quite bad. But I'll let you be the judge of that.

Thanks for supporting me all these years. Bye bye for now.

- JJ