Oh, Those Summer Nights. (Brendon Urie x Reader)

"Are you absolutely sure I can't punch him in the face?"

"Yes."

"Can't I just break his nose a little?"

"(Y/N), you can't go around randomly assaulting people just because you don't like them."

"It's not just because I don't like him."

Josh snorted and took a sip of his drink. "Really? He hasn't said two words to you since you got here. What possible reason is there to justify breaking his nose?"

"He's breathing too much of my oxygen."

"He's standing 50 feet away from you."

"Still."

You tore your gaze away from the man who was leaning against the patio door, beer in one hand while the other clutched his stomach as he doubled over in laughter at something Tyler had just said and instead focused your attention on Josh, who had a look of amusement on his face.

"I'm starting to think that the reason his presence bothers you so much, is because it bothers you so much," Josh teased, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

You scrunched your face up in disgust. "Please. The day I get turned on by Brendon Urie is the day pigs fly."

"If you say so, (Y/N)."

You shot the pink-haired man a glare before taking a long swig of your drink.

Josh sat down on the ground next to you. "Why do you hate him so much, anyways?"

"That is a story that I am way too sober to tell."

"Don't be like that," Josh whined, giving you those irresistible puppy eyes that made you melt instantly.

"Ugh, fine," you groaned as you changed your position so that you were sitting cross-legged, "Story time, children."

"Children? Plural? I'm the only one here."

"Just shut up and listen."

Josh made a zipping motion over his lips and you began to tell him the story of how you grew to hate Brendon Boyd Urie.

-11 years ago-

You closed your eyes while listening to the waves crash onto the shore, soaking up the last little bit of sunlight before the sky faded into the pale pinks and oranges of a sunset. Inhaling deeply, you let the fresh sea air fill your lungs while the sand caressed your legs. You absolutely adored the beach. It was your favorite place on Earth, and the fact that you'd be spending essentially the entire summer at one of the most beautiful beaches in the world was like heaven on Earth for you.

"So damn gorgeous."

You opened opened your eyes and raised an eyebrow at the boy who had seated himself next to you. "Excuse me?"

His facial expression changed to one of panic as he quickly tried to explain himself.

"Oh, no, no, I- I was talking about the sunset," he gestured towards the horizon.

He turned to face you and you got a good look at him for the first time, and in that moment, you knew you would fall for him.

Hard.

"Although, you're really gorgeous too," he said smoothly, giving you a small smile.

You blushed furiously at his words. He laughed. It was the most beautiful sound you'd ever heard.

"And you're really cute when you blush, too."

He outstretched his right hand. "I'm Brendon, by the way."

You shook his hand and your stomach flipped at the sensation of your hand in his. "(Y/N)."

~2 months later~

"Are you sure you wanna do this, babe?" Brendon brushed your hair out of your face and peppered your face with kisses.

You intertwined your hands with his. "Yeah. Yeah, I'm sure. I want this. It's our last night together for who knows how long, and I want to make it count. Make me yours, Brendon."

"I love you so much."

"I love you too."

-Present Day-

"When that summer ended, and we had to go back home, he made me a promise. He promised that he'd find me. That he would do whatever it took to be with me again. And I believed him, ya know? I believed him. I waited for him. For months. I tried looking for him too, but every time I thought I'd found him, I hadn't. Eventually, one day, I did. But then..." You looked up at the sky and blinked away the tears starting to form.

"He was with someone else?"

"He was with someone else."

"And that's why you hate him. Because he broke your heart."

"I realize that it may seem childish, Josh. Still holding a grudge against him for something that happened more than a decade ago. But it's just that..." you stopped, taking a deep breath.

Josh squeezes your hand, reassuring you and urging you to continue.

"He was my first... well, everything. First kiss, first boyfriend, first 'I love you', first guy I ever slept with... First everything. And the fact that he moved on and never even bothered calling or writing to me after that summer hurt like a bitch. And then," you let out a bitter laugh, "then, I became friends with you and Tyler. And suddenly, Brendon was a part of my life again. Except that this time around, it was even worse because he didn't even remember me. He didn't remember me or anything he and I said or did. Like all of that was nothing. Like I was nothing."

"(Y/N), I-"

You held up a hand to stop him. "It's okay, Dun. Really. You don't have to say anything. But now do you understand why Brendon isn't someone I want to be around?"

Josh nodded.

"Excellent!" you exclaimed while clapping your hands together. "Story time is over now, children."

"I'm older than you."

"Whatever." You rolled your eyes and got up from your spot on the grass, frowning when you noticed that your glass was empty. Grabbing Josh's hand, you started dragging him towards the kitchen. "C'mon, I need a refill."

As soon as you disappeared through the patio door, Brendon stepped out from behind the tree where he'd been listening.

"But I never forgot you, babe. I never could."

_______________________________

Thank you for reading x