Lemon Tree. (teenage!Brendon Urie x Reader)

════════════════

For: @-nestor, @ThingRocco and @Call_Of_The_Night

Request (by @-nestor): awkward teenage brendon asking u out on a date (cliché, i know. i tried my best.)

Note: I really like this one. It's cute.

════════════════

════════════════

You and Brendon were sitting at the dining table in your house, surrounded by a multitude of snacks and scattered assignments and study notes. These weekly study sessions had been the norm for the past year and a bit, alternating venues between your house and his.

It all started in freshman year – the two of you had sat next to each other on the very first day, and instantly clicked. Neither of you were particularly social people and kept a fairly small circle of friends, preferring rather to have chilled hang-outs at home than scatter to whatever party was happening that night, so it was no surprise that you became close friends.

The study sessions originated after Brendon came down with a bout of stomach illness mid-way through the second semester. He was out of school for the better part of two weeks and ended up missing a ton of work as a result. So, you offered to tutor him through the work he missed, and it stuck.

Brendon, in particular, was ever-so-thankful for the fact that the sessions had become a regular thing, because – as his friends knew and constantly teased him about – he had a major crush on you. And (even though he wouldn't admit it) a fairly large chunk of his 'studying' during the sessions consisted of him just staring at you in adoration, thinking about what it would be like to date you but not being able to work up enough courage to actually ask you out on a date.

At this exact moment, you were chewing on the end of your pen, frowning slightly at the page in front of you as you mentally fought through a math problem, while Brendon gazed at you fondly.

"Marry me," he muttered softly.

You snapped your head up and looked at him in surprise. "What?"

Brendon then realised that he'd spoken his embarrassing thoughts aloud, and began panicking internally. Fortunately, he came up with a cover rather quickly, and he replied calmly.

"I said 'lemon tree'. I just now noticed that you have one," he pointed his pen at the lemon tree in your backyard, visible through the window; you turned to look at it and nodded in understanding, "What did you think I said?"

Turning back to look at him – his eyes a bit wider than usual and glasses slipping down his nose as he pushed his hair back – you blushed tremendously, humiliated at yourself for thinking that he would ever say what you'd thought he had said.