Medicine. (Tyler Joseph x Reader)

Listen to the above song while reading.

I find it hard to say "bye bye"

Even in the state of you and I

And how can I refuse?

Yeah, you rid me of the blues

Ever since you came into my life

Tyler watched you as you drew, his face expressionless but mind captivated as his gaze took you in – the rhythmic scratch scratch of your pencil against the paper, the absentminded swaying of your leg as you concentrated, the subtle crease that would form on your forehead whenever you made even the tiniest of mistakes... he drank all of you in, fully entranced by you, as you took no notice of him.

"It's rude to stare, you know," you piped up, a trace of a smile on your face as you spoke; although you didn't lift your gaze from your sketch nor did you cease the movement of your fingers.

"I can't help it," came his reply as he shifted in his seat, moving a few inches closer to you, "You're the most beautiful thing in the universe."

You tilted your head back as you laughed – one of the many habits of yours that Tyler loved – before finally looking at him with a cocked eyebrow and an amused grin.

"And it's not good to lie."

"You don't believe that you're the most beautiful thing in the universe?" he cocked his head at you, a hint of teasing in his voice.

"Not by a long shot," you scoffed, returning your attention to your sketch.

"I think that you are," he retorted, earning another small smile from you, "Matter of fact, I think you're the most amazing thing to ever exist."

"Maybe in your universe, Ty."

"Is that not enough?"

Cause you're my medicine

(Yeah, you're medicine)

Yeah, you're my medicine

(You're medicine)

A sigh left your lips as your fingers stopped moving the pencil. "That's not what I meant."

"I know what you meant," he assured as he got up and made his way over to you, setting himself down on the armrest of the lounge chair you were sitting on, leaning back slightly so that he could wrap one arm around you.

A comfortable silence followed as your boyfriend lazily played with your hair, braiding it and twirling it around his slender fingers as you continued sketching.

"I wish you could see yourself the way I see you," he spoke not too long after, again making you stop your movements. He continued. "You truly are the most amazing person I have ever met, and I don't think you'll ever fully realise just how much better you made my life when you walked into it. I was a broken mess before I met you, but now I feel as whole as ever."

"You weren't a mess," you whispered, pivoting your head slightly so that you could at least see some of his face.

I, I wanna marry you

Said I, I adore you

And that's all I have to say, bye-bye

And you opiate this hazy head of mine

"Oh, but I was, angel," he argued, eyebrows furrowing ever so slightly. "You just never realised it because from the moment we met, you started putting me back together again. You were kind of like a... a medicine, if you will. The more time I spent around you, with you, the better I felt. It's quite difficult to explain, and I don't think I even totally understand it... all I know is that I want you with me forever. I've never wanted anything more than I want that."

You couldn't think of the proper words to say in response, so you settled on making a light joke instead.

"Was that a marriage proposal I just heard, Joseph?"

Tyler stayed silent for a moment, his fingers continuing their exploration of your hair. He responded a few seconds later.

"In a way, I suppose, yes. I want to marry you; I have no doubt about that. Although I'd like to think that we'd be together forever regardless of whether we get married or not."

A big smile spread across your lips as you leaned back into his chest and reached one of your hands back to grab his left one and intertwine them.

"I think that that's the best thing I've ever heard," you whispered.

"So you accept my 'proposal', then?"

You giggled. "Definitely."

Cause you're my medicine

(Yeah, you're medicine)

Yeah, you're my medicine

(You're medicine)

Tyler sighed contently, resting his chin on top of your head. "I hope you know that I meant what I said about you being my medicine. I don't think I would've made it this far if it weren't for you."

"You're my medicine too," you said, squeezing his hand, "I would've never been as confident as I am now if it weren't for you."

"Guess we're made for each other," he chuckled, kissing the top of your head; you hummed appreciatively.

"We're so lucky to have found each other when we did," you cooed, closing your eyes.

"It wasn't luck," he shook his head.

"No? What was it, then?"

Cause you're my medicine

(Yeah, you're medicine)

Yeah, you're my medicine

(You're medicine)

(You're medicine)

"Fate."

_______________________________

Thank you for reading x