Acceptance. (Tyler Joseph/Josh Dun x non-binary!Reader)

════════════════

Note: A wonderful person, who has asked to remain anonymous, requested this a long time ago. Apologies for taking so long to get to it, but I hope it's up to scratch. x

'if you could do a like a coming out as nonbinary to Tyler and Josh, being scared they won't accept you bc they're Christians'

════════════════

"You're... what?"

Willing yourself to ignore the golf ball-sized lump that had formed in your throat, you inhaled deeply and forced your lips to repeat the words that had caused the looks of disdain you were currently receiving from your two best friends.

"Non-binary," you repeated, avoiding both of their gazes and crossing your arms over your torso, hugging yourself.

"Seriously?" Tyler pressed as he leaned forward with raised brows; his reaction made you wish you'd never instigated this conversation.

"Yes," you concurred with a small nod, "I'm very serious."

"Oh, wow," Josh breathed softly, rubbing the back of his head and looking down.

"Yup," you remarked, popping the 'p' and still diverting your gaze away from the two of them.

The atmosphere in the room was undoubtedly tense and incredibly uncomfortable – no one was moving or saying a word – and you found yourself genuinely contemplating running away and never coming back.

At long last, a second before you were about to implode from anxiety, Tyler spoke up. His words, however, was not the relief you were so desperately searching for. On the contrary – it broke your heart.

"(Y/N)," he started with a sigh, rubbing his hands over his face before taking a seat and placing them on his knees, "there's no easy way to say this."

You felt your stomach drop, and you had to collapse onto a nearby seat before the spinning in your head made you faint. Nothing good could come from what Tyler was about to say – you knew this for a fact – and it was all you could do to prepare yourself for the inevitable stream of tears that would soon be cascading down your cheeks.

"We can't be friends anymore."

There it was. You knew it was coming, but that knowledge did nothing to soften the blow, and you felt as if the wind had been knocked out of you.

Despite your best efforts, you couldn't prevent the sobs that wracked your body, and as you slipped down further into the sofa, you shut your eyes as you felt your heart shatter a million times over.

~

You woke up with a start; your entire body jerking as your nightmare drew to a close and you opened your eyes to the dim glow of the sunrise.