Epilogue

Six years later

Kasai

I'm walking with Niichan down a dim street at night. The pulsating light from the street lights guiding our way. The shadows casted seem eery, reaching out long gnarly fingers to grab me.

We're walking to Ice's compound. I can tell because I can see Chihoko practically glowing down the street. Victor had taken it down from the local temple, and put it right outside the compound. For what reason one may ask?... well, we don't talk about that day. But let's just say it's a dominance symbol.

As Niichan and I draw closer, I sense movement. A small black figure dashes across the flickering light cast by the street lights.

"It's... It's just a squirrel... " I tell myself, forcing myself to relax because I tensed up when I first saw the flickering.

As we pass an ally way, a pale hand suddenly shoots out and grabs Niichan. Before he can cry, a cloth is placed over his mouth, and he collapses on the ground.

Immediately, I try to activate my fire. The thing I am named after. The thing that made Niichan proud of me...The thing that made Niichan give me an identity... made me into a person. But I can't. I try again, straining in the effort, but it doesn't work.

Before I can cry out, I am enveloped in a dark flame. Now usually, I don't burn thanks to my abilities, but this time I can feel my skin flushing. I can smell flesh burning, my mouth quickly drying up. I find myself unable to scream, my throat is too dry.

I bolt upright, panting, and I slowly look around my room.

I take heaving breaths as I hug myself shivering, remembering that dream... No. No way in hell was that a dream. It's a nightmare.

I am tempted, oh so tempted to run to Niichan's room, but I look at the clock.

6 am

I am technically 15 now. It's past 12am so I am officially 15 years old... so I can deal with this nightmare situation myself. I slide out of bed, and drag my blanket around me, draping it over my head and wrap the rest around me. I head over to the kitchen, hoping to find some water, or something cool to drink to parch my dry throat.

As I round the corner into the kitchen I hear panting and moaning... I hesitate before I entering the kitchen... I normally hear these sounds when the do not disturb sign is on Niichan's door. And nobody dares to go into Niichan's room when that sign is up... expect maybe Phichit.

"Take it out take it out!" I hear Niichan moan.

"I can't! It's too hot!" I hear Victor say back to him.

"No it's too big! Can you see how inflated it is!"

"Well, I'm sorry, but size matters."

I slip into the kitchen, and find it in disarray. There are bowls everywhere, flour strewn across the floor, chocolate on the ceiling, and dough that looks like it has a lot of unknown substances in it lying on the counter. There is also a slight fog that hovers in the air of the kitchen. I look around the mess for Niichan and Victor, and there they are standing next to the oven, where what looks like a ginormous cake is baking... a ginormous cake that is rising still...Immediately I run over to the oven, pull open the door, and bring the cake out of the oven.

"Kasai! Be careful!"

"Don't worry Niichan, I can't get hurt because of the heat anyways." I say, holding up my unscathed hand as I set the now deflating cake onto the counter, "See."