Chapter Two: The Dreaded News

𝓔𝓓𝓘𝓣𝓔𝓓

Shortly after the Sorting Ceremony had finished, Headmaster Dippet stood up from where he was sitting and made his way forward to the stand.

"What an excellent start to the new school year, congratulations to all our first years on being placed into their houses, congratulations to our new fifth year prefects, and finally congratulations to Emory Oliphant and Morgandy Crook, your new Head Boy and Head Girl." He paused to allow people to clap for Morgandy and Emory. "Now, before the feast begins, may I remind you of the events of last year, unfortunately we lost a third year, Ravenclaw student, Myrtle Warren, and as from now on the girl's lavatory on the first floor, in strictly out of bounds, and you must not enter under any circumstances. And on that note, let the feast begin."

After Headmaster Dippet finished his speech the four house tables soon filled up with food, the first years gasped at the sight of food appearing before their eyes and everyone began to help themselves to the food in front of them.

Ophelia helped herself to a couple pieces of bacon and sausages along with a handful of chips. It wasn't long before Tom spoke up. "Lockwood, something is very off with you tonight, you're not your usual self, where's bubbly Ophelia gone?"

"I'll have you know Tom, I'm feeling quite alright, however, I am tired and what's the point in attempting to talk to a bunch of miserable gits who I have nothing in common with?" Ophelia responded, a small laugh escaped Harlen's mouth as he tried not to make it obvious he was dying on the inside.

"It didn't stop you the first five years, what changed?" He pondered.

"Do you really want me to spark a random conversation?" Ophelia raised her eyebrows.

"Amuse me," Tom gave Ophelia one of his devilish smiles.

"Nott, what's with the brown hair, you used to be blonde?" Ophelia sparked the conversation.

"It naturally went like this," Odgar shrugged.

"Shame, next time why don't you dye it blue, to match your eyes," Ophelia winked at Odgar, and in response, he rolled his eyes.

"What about you, Lestrange? Ever considered going green? It'll match the green-eyed monster that's buried within you!" Ophelia asked, her voice was muffled due to the mouthful of chips she had stuffed in her mouth.

Some of the boys laughed as they waited for Arkin's response.

"You think you're funny, don't you Lockwood?" Arkin spoke through gritted teeth.

"Think? Oh no, that's where you're wrong Arkin Lestrange. I, Ophelia Lockwood, know I'm funny," Ophelia laughed to herself, "and by the laughs that are coming out of your friends' mouths', so do they!"

"How I wish you were more like your brother, at least he had the audacity to be respectful to people higher than him!" Arkin scoffed.

"If you think Adonis was nice and respectful to you or any other outrageously disgusting, privileged pure-blooded freak like you, you've got another thing coming, Arkin. Your ignorance doesn't flatter you any more than your surname or position in the wizarding society," Ophelia pointed her fork full of chips at Arkin, once she was done she stuffed them all in her mouth and flipped him off.

Tom smirked at Ophelia's response, she was strong, mentally and physically, she knew how to easily put someone in their place, and he loved it.

Once desserts had been eaten and the first years began complaining about their belly aches everyone was dismissed by Headmaster Dippet house by house and were ordered to their common rooms.