Chapter Nine: The Dreaded Day

𝓔𝓓𝓘𝓣𝓔𝓓

This Friday was different, it seemed to drag on and on, unlike any other Friday. Ophelia spent the day with Tom. They paired up together in lessons, even the Death Eater's got suspicious over it.

Ophelia was on her bed, still in her uniform, going over her star chart for her eleven o'clock lesson of Astronomy.

"Hello, Ophelia. Do you want to walk with me and Dodie to the Astronomy Tower?" Aika asked.

"Um, sure. Let me just get my stuff," Ophelia smiled.

She quickly rolled up her star chart and grabbed her Astronomy equipment, the two girls walked out of the dorm room together and descended down the stone steps into the common room. Tom watched her as she walked with Aika towards Dodie who was at the top of the steps. He sent her a questioning look and she shrugged her shoulders confused herself.

The three girls exited the common room and into the dungeon towards the steps. At the top of the steps stood Emory, waiting for Ophelia.

"Oh, sorry I didn't know you two were walking together," Aika said.

"Don't worry, neither did I. Thank you for the offer though, Aika," Ophelia smiled as they reached the top of the stairs and the two girls headed towards the Astronomy Tower.

"What do you want, Emory?" She sighed.

Emory didn't say anything he just dragged her to the seventh floor. He ignored all of her pleas to let go of her until they were in the Room of Runes.

"What?" Ophelia raised her voice.

"Why on earth did you spend the whole day with Tom?" Emory practically yelled.

"I don't have time for this, Emory," Ophelia sighed, turning around towards the exit.

She was stopped as Emory pulled back on wrist.

"Let go of me, you're hurting me," Ophelia winced.

"We need to talk about this, about us," Emory said moving his free hand between his and Ophelia's body as he let go of her.

"No, we don't. Don't you get it, Emory? There is no us anymore. There hasn't been an us since the first day back at school," Ophelia sighed, shaking her head, "now if you don't mind I have an Astronomy lesson to go to."

As she was near to the door he called out for her, "so, that's it then? Two and a half years down the drain because I got a job offer."

"Yes, Emory," Ophelia sighed, "when you took the job you knew that we could no longer be together. So, I don't see why you're trying to take this out on me." 

She was glad he couldn't see her where she was standing in the shadows. She didn't want him to see the tears brimming in her eyes, and she didn't want him to see them as they fell down her face.

"How is this any of my fault though? I was given an amazing job offer doing something I love and that I'm talented in, and now because of that we have to break up."

"Bye, Emory," Ophelia said as she began to walk out of the room.

"Ophelia, please don't, I love you!" He called out to her. 

But she had already left.

Some part of Emory knew that was the best thing for Ophelia to do. He didn't want to hurt her any more than he'd hurt himself. He was left sat there in the room, he stood there throwing his arms up into the air hurt and on the verge of tears. He knew it should have happened a long time ago but he kept it going because he loved her. But once he left the room he didn't feel the slightest bit of remorse.

Emory head towards the Gryffindor Tower. Once he left, Lyra stepped out of the shadows, a smirk plastered across her face filled with satisfaction. Unknowing to the newly broken up couple, she would play a huge part in the pairs life later to come.

As Ophelia reached the bottom of the Astronomy Tower she hadn't heard the clock tower bell ring signaling eleven o'clock. She rushed up the stairs wiping away her tears.

As she reached the top, Professor Hants turned to her, "you're fifteen minutes late, Miss Lockwood, where have you been?" He asked her.

"I'm sorry, Professor, I couldn't find my star graph," she said holding it up.

"Well, okay then, I'll let you off this once, please don't be late again."

Ophelia nodded and walked over to the empty space between Starr and Dove.

"What's wrong?" Dove asked looking at Ophelia who was clearly upset.

"We broke up," Ophelia whispered tears slipped from her eyes and Dove wrapped her arms around Ophelia .

Dove turned to Nicole, and their eyes met.

"Why?" Starr asked, she already knew why but she still asked to hear it from her.

"The job offer mainly, and we've become so distant, we don't even know each other anymore," Ophelia's whisper became quieter by every word she said, "I told you all first day something was off, I knew I didn't feel the same, I thought I didn't love him but it hurts like hell!"

The group of girls all hugged Ophelia. She felt safe and warm but empty now that her relationship with Emory had ended.

Tom couldn't help but overhear their conversation, he was happy they broke up but he knew how hurt Ophelia was, she loved him but she didn't know if he felt the same.