Chapter Three: 1938

𝓔𝓓𝓘𝓣𝓔𝓓

August 24th 1938

It was a quiet day in Diagon Alley, most on the students had collected all their equipment and uniform at the beginning of the month, only a few left it to the last minute.

A small pure-blood witch walked around the shops with her parents and older brother, both buying various requirements for their classes for when they begin the year school year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in the next seven days.

The young girl walked around the cobbled streets holding her brother's hand and newly bought pet for her next seven years at Hogwarts, a small black kitten with the name Achromatic, with her head held high and back straight.

The young witch was highly intelligent, her knowledge in some areas excelled compared to her parents. The last place to go on her list of required equipment was Ollivander's, the shop that all British wizards and witches by their wands from.

The small family of four neared the shop and the young witch stared in awe, she knew of the famous shop before, hearing stories from her parents and brother of when they received their wands for the first time. A sudden wave of anxiety hit the girl as she grew nervous on what wand will pick her. She held the small kitten closer to her small body, stroking it ever so gently.

"Ophelia, listen." The young witch's brother knelt down to her height, the young girl took her gave him a small, soft smile. "Everyone is nervous for when they get their wand, hell, I got mine five years ago and I'm still in awe with the moment my wand chose me, but there is no reason to be afraid for which wand will choose you, you are already an incredibly powerful witch and your future is bright. No matter the length of your wand or the core, your wand will make you an exceptional witch, do you understand?"

The young girl's smile was now brighter than before as she shook her head. Her brother had always been encouraging when it came to situations like this. The little remained holding her brother's hand whilst she handed her cat to her mother, her parents staring at their children in awe as they got on so well. Her brother looked down at her, she soon looked up to him.

"Ready?" He asked.

"Ready." The little girl perked up.

They walked towards the entrance of the shop together, hand in hand, voices could be heard as they opened the door. In front of them stood two men and a young boy. One of the men stood behind the desk in a white collar shirt and a brown neck time wrapped underneath the collar, she presumed it was Mr Garrick Ollivander himself. The other man was slightly taller than the man behind the desk with medium length, greying auburn hair, he wore what looked, from the back, like a suit. The boy turned around and made eye contact with the young witch, she smiled and he gave back a small smile.

"My, my. It's been a good thirty-seven years since you two have been in here," the man behind the desk perked to the young girl's parents.

"Ah, Lillian and George, it is great to see you again after all these years!" Exclaimed the man in the suit, the man had soft blue eyes and a small beard masked around his mouth and cheeks, "Adonis, I hope you've completed the transfiguration homework I set you at the beginning of the summer."

Adonis nodded his head and smiled at the man.

"Hello, Professor Dumbledore, it's so good to see you." Spoke up the girl's mother, reaching in for a hug to the tall man. As her mother pulled away her father went in for her handshake letting go of her hand for a brief second.

"This is our daughter, Ophelia, Professor, she will be joining Hogwarts in September," George smiled, gesturing to his daughter, "and of course, you know our son Adonis already."

Professor Dumbledore came closer to Ophelia and reached out his hand for her to shake. As they shook hands Professor Dumbledore spoke up. "Ophelia, I can already tell you will be a bright student just like your mother and father were, as well as your brother, I will be your Transfiguration teacher." He smiled, letting go of her hand.

"Where we turn objects into different objects?" Ophelia asked.

"Yes, you really are a bright child." He laughed. "Oh, before I forget this young boy will also be starting in September. This Ophelia, is Tom Riddle."

Ophelia reached her hand out to Tom Riddle and she shook it keeping a keen eye on her. "Ophelia Lockwood." She smiled.

"Tom Riddle." The pale boy with beautiful green eyes replied.

Once they were done shaking hands, the man behind the counter spoke up. "Ah, right what can we do for you both, Miss Lockwood and Mister Riddle."

"Well, Mr Ollivander, I am sure they would both like a wand for their years at Hogwarts and when they leave." Professor Dumbledore answered for the two eleven-year-olds.

"Right, for you Mister Riddle, an oddly-formed oak wood wand, just sharp of eleven inches long with a core of merfolk hair. Give it a try." Mr Ollivander said pulling out one of the many black boxes in the wall and handing the wand to Tom.

With one swoosh of the wand, the shelf of books knocked over and Mr Ollivander just shook his head as Tom handed back the wand to the man. Mr Ollivander returned the box back to its original place on the shelf and delved deeper into the back of the shop.

He soon returned with a box a bit bigger than the one he had just given Tom and pulled out a pale coloured wand with a bone-like handle and handed it to Tom, he quickly pulled away hesitating a bit.

"This my boy, is a very unique and powerful wand it is, Yew wood, with a length of a thirteen and a half inches with a core of phoenix feather. What's unique about this wand is the Phoenix that gave the feather only gave two feathers and the other wand that has the feather is its brother and they cannot destroy each other." Mr Ollivander said as Tom stared in awe at the wand that was just handed to him.

As he handed the wand to Tom properly this time, from the moment he let go the wand began to glow in the young boy's hand. Once it had finished glowing, he turned around. "What does it mean when it glows?" He asked.

"It means that this wand has chosen you, this is your wand now Tom, you must take good care of it." Mr Ollivander smiled.

Professor Dumbledore handed the money over for his wand at a cost of 7 Galleons. Tom handed back his new wand and Mr Ollivander placed it back in the box and handed it back over to Tom.

"Now, Miss Lockwood. How about, a cypress wood wand, at fourteen and a half inches with a phoenix feather core?" He asked opening the wand revealing a long wand with a small metallic jewel at the end of the handle.

Just like Tom's wand did with him, Ophelia's wand started to glow too. When her wand finished glowing, Mr Ollivander was astonished. "It's been a while since a wand has chosen its owner on the first go."

George and Lillian Lockwood were left there standing speechless.

"Maybe she is more powerful than us." Lillian turned to George.

"More powerful than us? She more powerful than us put together!" George exclaimed.

"Include me in that statement," Adonis looked to his parents.

The small shop was soon filled with laughter from all the adults and fifteen-year-old Adonis, whereas the two eleven-year-olds just stared at each of in confusion.

Soon after the laughter died down Ophelia's father paid for her wand, and the small family of four left alongside Professor Dumbledore and Tom Riddle. Ophelia's parents and brother engaged in conversation with Professor Dumbledore about their jobs and Adonis' future plans after school, whilst Ophelia and Tom walked together just ahead in a comfortable silence.

Professor Dumbledore, George and Lillian, soon said their goodbyes. "Say goodbye to Tom now, Ophelia, we're going back home." Lillian smiled down to her daughter.

Ophelia nodded her head. "Well, it was nice meeting you, Tom Riddle. I'll see you at Hogwarts." Ophelia smiled reaching her hand out for Tom to shake again.

"You too," Tom said reaching his hand out too. They briefly shook hands until they pulled away, and Ophelia and her parents turned right towards the entrance to the muggle world.

Tom and Professor Dumbledore continued forward towards a small pub. "Let's get something to eat."