Chapter Twelve: The Interrogation

𝓔𝓓𝓘𝓣𝓔𝓓

Yesterday's shopping trip was replaying itself in Tom's head. He only intended to buy a suit, never did he intend to ask Ophelia to go with him. He was not planning to go to the Ball until he was forced by Misty Reeves and Avery, it was Misty's way of getting him to go in hopes of Tom asking her to go to the Ball. It was a spur of the moment thing when he asked Ophelia, the image of her in the new dress she bought was also on his mind, he could not help but realise how beautiful she was. He felt weird, he had no emotions to anyone but the snake he found back in the summer that made its way into the orphanage away from the horrible summer rain. He pondered why he felt a little bit funny in his stomach.

It was five-thirty in the morning and he lay on his bed thinking of yesterday. He knew that Ophelia was also surprised by his actions yesterday it wasn't something he usually did. He got up out of his bed and wrapped his dressing gown around his body and made his way to the common room. His body became cold walking down the steps of the boy's dormitory stairwell his feet started to become numb from the cold stone floor where he had forgotten to put his slippers on. He turned back and went to go retrieve his slippers.

Continuing his short journey to the common room, much warmer than he was five minutes ago. As he reached the bottom of the stairwell he walked over to his usual seat in the living area. Before he could even sit down, Ophelia lay on the sofa asleep. 

Tom took in the way she slept, her mouth was slightly open with little snores coming out every time she breathed out. Her face was rested on her hand whilst her raven hair covered the top half of her face slightly. He moved the hair out of her face and noticed she had a few tiny freckles on her nose. 

She was still in the clothes she was wearing yesterday which left Tom baffled. He thought she went to bed straight after the evening meal, but he remembered when he went to bed at one o'clock that both Avery and Orion had not returned from their 'shower.'

Tom was yet again left pondering. Did Avery and Orion lie to him and sneak out of the dorm with Ophelia? He sat on the opposite sofa and watched Ophelia as she continued to sleep unaware of Tom's presence. He kept thinking of all the possible outcomes that could have happened.

After an hour, Tom was unaware of Avery as he came down the stairs, he was too deep in his thoughts.

"Uh, Tom?" Avery asked. Tom snapped his head up and stared at Avery.

"Where were you last night?" Tom asked, his voice stern.

"In the shower?" Avery stated, it came out like a question and Avery soon realised his mistake. "Yeah, I was in the shower, I told you last night."

Tom nodded, "it's amusing to hear that you have a four-hour shower, is it not?"

"Yeah, just got lost in my thoughts and the water was nice and relaxing on my back," Avery started stuttering.

"Why is Ophelia asleep on the settee in yesterday's clothes?" He asked.

"Maybe she fell asleep and no one woke her?" Avery didn't know what time Ophelia came back. 

All he knew was Emory dismissed him and Orion. Avery was wondered why he could possibly have wanted to speak to Ophelia, they had a conversation earlier on the week about how it was not real love.

"No. I was the last to go to bed and the last one down here last night when I went to bed, I was sat right where Ophelia is lying. I would know if I was sitting on her," Tom spat, "you, on the other hand, were not in your bed when I went to bed neither was Orion. Where did you two go with Ophelia?"

By this point, Ophelia was now awake and listening intensely to their conversation.

"I was in the shower and Orion was in the shower next to me. As for Ophelia, I don't know where she was, she may have snuck out to speak to Dove and Nicole?" Avery suggested.

"Did you, Ophelia?" Tom asked her, he knew that she was awake as her quiet snores had stopped and her head was no longer resting on her hand.

Ophelia shot her head towards Tom, sitting up in the process.

"Yes, I was with Dove and Nicole last night, we were at the top of the Astronomy tower catching up on some work I missed on Friday night," she said.

Tom just nodded his head, he was going to make a snarky comment until he realised now was not the right time.

"I'm going to get dressed for breakfast, you two should too. Nice pyjamas, Harlen," Ophelia laughed walking up the girl's dormitory stairwell.

Avery's cheeks turned a bright shade of red, he did not say anything to a smirking Tom and went back to his dorm to also get changed for breakfast.

Tom stood up and casted a wordless spell, soon his body was no longer covered in bed wear but normal everyday clothes.

Tom paced around the room for a while until Ophelia and Eileen came down the stairs of the girl's dormitory at the same time as Avery, Orion, Malfoy and Lestrange came down the boy's dormitory. The group all came together and started to head to the Great Hall.

Halfway through their short journey, the group who were in mixed conversations came to a halt after none other than Antonin Dolohov came running towards them. When he reached the group he was nothing but a panting mess.

"You could have waited like five minutes, Merlin's beard," Dolohov said panting still and flapping his hands up and down like a fan to cool himself down.

The whole group rolled their eyes and continued the walk to the Great Hall. Once they were there, they all made their way over to their usual spot on the Slytherin table.

Ophelia looked to see Dove smiling at her and she gave a gentle wave back. She then looked to the Gryffindor table where Nicole and Elowen looked bored out of their minds. Ophelia gave them a questioning look and pointed to Lyra and Emory. Ophelia became jealous it was just last night Emory was holding her the way he used to before the relationship began to go downhill. It left Ophelia suspicious.

Ophelia helped herself to some of the food and engaged into conversation with Avery about the Ball later on tonight. Her attention was low in the conversation as her mind raced back to the summer previous with Emory.