Chapter Fourteen: Ravens and Riddles

𝓔𝓓𝓘𝓣𝓔𝓓

Dove rushed through the castle grounds making her way to the clock tower courtyard, her little legs were no help in this situation as she desperately needed to speak to Opehlia. Dove had learned something about Ophelia just moments before and wanted to question her face to face, she left a very baffled fifth year as she ran away from the news she had learned.

Once she reached the courtyard a group of her friends from all four houses were sat around a small section of the fountain.

"Ophelia Raven Lockwood!" Dove called when her eyes locked onto Ophelia who was engaged in a conversation with Morgandy.

"Oh Merlin, no," Ophelia let out, her heart beating and her palms began to sweat from the shock of Dove using her full name.

"Your middle name is Raven?" Abner asked, taking a bite out of his apple whilst he wrapped his arm around Nicole.

Ophelia nodded her head to Abner's question whilst she kept eye contact with Dove as she walked over to her group of friends.

Everyone watched Dove stop in front of Ophelia, she peered down on her taking the advantage of Ophelia sitting down so for once she was taller.

"You," she started, pointing at Ophelia, "why didn't you tell me you're going to the ball with Tom Riddle?"

A few members of the group gasped, whereas Emory who was on the other side of Abner turned and looked at Ophelia who was struggling to get a single word out.

"Well?" Dove gave Ophelia a stern look as she cocked up one of her eyebrows.

"Well, uh, it was really a spur of the moment thing, Tom just came up to me and asked," Ophelia stuttered out.

"That's what you two were talking about in Gladrags," Nicole let out also giving Ophelia a stern look.

Morgandy and Starr turned to each other, they knew this was to happen, it was only a matter of time that everything that everything will unravel.

"There is no harm in going as friends," Ophelia attempted to cover up the whole situation.

"Oh please, Ophelia, don't play that card, we all know Tom has a thing for you, it's obvious," Dove spat.

"It's really not," Ophelia hesitated.

"Seriously, Lia? You're still playing that card." Nicole asked.

"How is it obvious? Tom cannot produce any emotions towards anyone, why else do you think he can be so heartless?" Ophelia let out, "Oh Merlin, no, I've said too much."

"What do you mean he cannot produce any emotion?" Abner asked standing up.

Before anyone spoke everyone went quiet, Tom Riddle himself stood behind Abner, whilst Abner stood there unaware of Tom's presence no one moved.

"Really? Now you're not talking?" Abner broke the silence.

"No Abner," Tom startled him, making Abner jump and rush to sit back next to Nicole, "I do not care for half of the people in this school, that is what Ophelia is getting at. And in all honesty it's none of your business, is it?"

Abner shook his head whilst Tom laughed at how pathetic he truly was, "and as for attending the ball with Ophelia, I can ask whoever I want, and Ophelia was my first choice, always will be." Tom spat out and walked away, hands behind his back.

The group remained quiet until Dove spoke up, "awe, you'll always be his first choice," Dove put her hand to her chest.

"Who knew Tom Riddle could be nice and mean at the same time?" Caspian scoffed.

"Shut your mouth, Rutherford," Ophelia spat.

"Calm down, Lia. It's about time that we should all be getting ready for the ball, see you all later?" Avery suggested.

The group all agreed, all parting separate ways. The walk back to the Slytherin common room was full of giggles as Ophelia and Avery began shoving each other around, Orion laughed at the pair and so Ophelia and Avery teamed up to start pushing Orion together.

Once the three of them reached the top of the stairs leading down to the dungeon, Orion pushed Ophelia straight into Lachlann causing them both to the floor.

"Watch what you're doing, Lockwood!" Lachlann picked himself up, "you'll end up getting yourself killed with your clumsiness."

"Calm down Selwyn, we're only having a bit of fun, you should let yourself lose every once in a while," Avery joked as helped Ophelia to her feet.

Lachlann rolled his eyes turning away from the three and headed down the steps and Ophelia, Avery and Orion were left in a fit of giggles at the top.