Chapter Thirty-Five: The End of a Year and the New Heads

It was the last day of school, lessons had been cancelled and an early finish had been called. Everyone was gathered in the great hall for their final lunch of the year, the great hall was still dressed in the Slytherin colours as it was announced the night before that Slytherin had won the house cup. Everyone was allowed to sit by their friends in other houses if they wanted to.

The group of friends were sat at the top of the Gryffindor table as they were about to finish their food.

Headmaster Dippet had walked out in front of the teacher's table and had Professor Dumbledore silence the school with a clink of a glass.

The great hall was silent as all their eyes were upon the headmaster.

"Once again, we've had a brilliant year at Hogwarts," he started, "we've learned new things, had excellent triumphs – once again congratulations to Ravenclaw for winning the Quidditch house cup and for Slytherin for winning the house cup last night."

Headmaster Dippet paused for the school to clap the two houses on their victories.

"Now, I would like to bid a fair goodbye to not only out seventh years who will be leaving us, but to Professor Posen, who after fifty years of teaching here, retires today," once again headmaster Dippet paused for people to clap, "however, I would like to welcome our very own, Emory Oliphant, to the teaching team as he will be taking over professor Posen's place. So as of September, please refer to mister Oliphant as professor Oliphant."

The hall erupted into cheers and Emory smiled brightly as he looked at his friends who were patting his back and congratulating him.

"Now, a new year means new headboy and headgirl. So to hand over our new headboy and girl's badges is our current headboy and girl, Emory Oliphant and Morgandy Crook."

Morgandy and Emory made their way up next to headmaster Dippet and each shook his hand. He handed them over the new badges as they both got to keep their own.

"Now to hand over to miss Crook, who will announce our new headgirl." Dippet stepped back as patted Morgandy on the back.

"Okay, from a lot of interviews and debating who should be the next headgirl we have come to the conclusion, that the next headgirl should be," Morgandy paused and looked at each of the contenders, "Dove Snowberry."

Everyone clapped and Dove's eyes widened as soon as Morgandy said her name, Rune kissed her on the side of her head, and Ophelia ushered her to get out of her seat. Dove stood from the Gryffindor table and walked up to Morgandy. The two shook hands and Morgandy pinned her badge on her. Dove then shook Emory's and Dippet's hands and stood next to Morgandy.

Ophelia and the others watched proudly as they saw Dove with her new headgirl badge.

"Now, there wasn't as much debating when deciding who should be the next head boy," Emory gave a small smile.

"Yeah, only a lot of arguing," Morgandy whispered into Dove's ear which Dove let out a slight giggle.

"However, not only did headmaster Dippet and many of the other teachers agree, but myself and Morgandy both believe that he is the right person for this job," Emory nodded his head as he too looked around at all the contenders for the role, "so, your new headboy is mister Tom Riddle."

Ophelia looked at Emory with squinted eyes as he had spoken somewhat kindly about Tom, and she then looked back at Tom who was walking up from the Slytherin table, the loudest of cheers coming from said table.

Emory and Tom shook hands, and Emory pinned the badge to Tom's robe. Tom did the exact same as Dove, he shook Morgandy's and Dippet's hands, and then finally shook Dove's too as they both congratulated each other on their new positions.

Dippet stepped forward and ushered the four to sit back down, but not before congratulating the four first.

"Yes, congratulations to miss Snowberry and mister Riddle, you both deserve your places. And congratulations to our new prefects who were awarded their badges last night, for Gryffindor there is Olivia Oliphant and Donald Ryan, Slytherin we have Eileen Prince and Charles Reynolds, Ravenclaw has Tirion Driscoll and Norman Connor, and finally, Hufflepuff has Frances Jones and Milton Benjamin," Dippet smiled as he clapped his hands along with everyone else, "once again, congratulations to our new heads and prefects. I will now hand you over to professor Dumbledore."

The hall clapped as Dumbledore came forward and he held his hands out for them to stop clapping, "Congratulations, you all truly deserve it. Now, I would like to wish our seventh years further congratulations," Dumbledore smiled, "once again welcome to the team Emory as the new Study of Ancient Runes professor, and welcome to the team to mister Rune Lufkin, who will be joining Madam Laxj in the hospital ward from September. And huge congratulations to Morgandy Crook, Archer Carr, Franko Andre, Abner Forrester, Theodore Rothschild, Caspian Rutherford, Anna Hawk and Henry Cameron for getting jobs at the Ministry of Magic, well done, you're all excellent students, you deserve it."

Claps and cheers were heard throughout Dumbledore's little speech as the houses cheered for their members and friends.

"Now, before we leave, I would like to thank you all for your hard work that you have shown this year! A special well done to our seventh and sixth years who went through a slight rough patch at the beginning of the year," Dumbledore looked at the group of friends sat atop of the Gryffindor table, "for being able to pull through a somewhat difficult time, we'd like to award the following students a special award for services to the school; Emory Oliphant; Abner Forrester; Archer Carr; Rune Lufkin; Theodore Rothschild; Vincent Whittaker; Daxten Worthington; Caspian Rutherford; Felix Andre; Morgandy Crook; Ophelia Lockwood; Dove Snowberry; Nicole Andre; Starr Westenra; Elowen and Twyla Hollow; and finally, Avalon Chavez."

The group all made their way up and were congratulated by those around them. Teachers lined up and handed each one of the student's their awards. Their photo was taken and Abner started messing around with Archer as they saw their reflection in their award.

The all shook Dumbledore's and Dippet's hands and sat back at their table.

"With that, you are now dismissed, please make your way to the carriages, letters for school supplies will be sent out by the weekend," Dippet smiled as he clasped his hands together.

The first to fifth years, with some sixth and seventh years, all rushed it out of the great hall and to the carriages, their luggage was waiting for them down by the gates of the school.

The group walked down to the doors of the to meet Tom, Avery and Orion. They chatted among themselves as they reached the front doors leading out to the carriages.

"We're coming with you as Malfoy and Lestrange, don't like the fact that we've been spending time with you lot recently," Avery sighed as he walked alongside Ophelia.

"And therefore doing that, you're proving their point," Ophelia laughed.

"Lockwood, do you not want us here?" Tom asked as he looked down on her.

"Of course not, Riddle," Ophelia smiled up at him.

"Well tough luck, we've got a long train ride together." Tom shook his head.

"Why are you going to Wales?" Orion asked.

"Well, Ophelia's parents invited me and Lillian makes the best breakfast so it's hard to say no," Tom gave a small smile as he looked back and forth from Ophelia and Orion.

"Yes, two weeks with your favourite person and then two weeks with you least favourite person," Ophelia smiled as she put her hands on Tom's cheeks and mushed them together.

"Oh, dear lord how am I going to cope?" Tom rolled his eyes as he grabbed hold of Ophelia's wrists and pulled her hands away from his face.

The group laughed as they climbed into the carriages.

Ophelia, Dove, Nicole, Tom, Rune, Avery, Orion and Emory all sat in the same carriage and it began to move once Emory sat down.

"Finally, it's not me!" Nicole sighed a sigh of relief as Ophelia and Dove laughed at her.

The boys looked at them with a confused look andthe girls shook their heads.