Chapter Forty-three: Train Gossip and the First Day

The moving train filled with loud children moved through the English countryside as it came near to cross the Scottish border.

Unlike the years previous where there would be seven girls in the carriage there was only four.

The carriage was silent, none of the girls had spoken a word to each other until since their conversation on Starr's early-morning birthday celebrations with Morgandy that happened over an hour ago. Every now and then there would an obnoxiously loud sigh of boredom coming from one or another.

Ophelia was resting her head on Starr's lap whilst Starr played with her hair, Dove and Nicole however, were sat opposite the two girls their heads buried into books reading ahead for the new school year.

Thankfully the door to their compartment opened and Nicole let out a 'thank god,' whilst slamming the book shut and looking to see who opened the door.

The door was opened by Iakona Prewett, Ophelia's distant cousin, and Raine Abbott, the two girls briefly knew the four of them but that was only through class or sharing a dorm with three out of the four girls.

"Do you mind if we join you? The girls in our compartment are non-stop talking about their boyfriends," Raine asked as she rolled her eyes.

"Uh yeah, no problem," Starr smiled.

Ophelia sat up so the Iakona could sit down next to her.

Dove and Nicole packed their books away whilst Raine shut the door behind her, she quickly sat in-between Nicole and Dove.

"Who are the girls that won't shut up about their boyfriends?" Starr asked the two girls.

Iakona sighed, "well, there is Phyllis Andrews, Diane Cohen, Twyla Hollow--."

"That bitch, she totally ditched us," Nicole spat.

"Yeah, she got really close to some of the girls over the summer," Iakona nodded her head, "but Rose Davies and Evelyn Jones are also non-stop talking about their boyfriends."

"Like we get it you're in love, whoop-tee-do," Raine waved her hands in the air as she continued to roll her eyes.

The rest of the girls started laughing and Nicole began to wipe a tear from her eye.

"Who do the other girls go out with then? We know Twyla goes out with Enoch, but," Starr looked between the two girls.

"Yeah, Twyla goes out with Enoch, and then Phyllis goes out with Quill Walker," Iakona looked at Starr.

Dove gasped, "it's about time."

"That's what we said until all Phyllis talks about is Quill," Raine pointed between her and Iakona, "but then Diane goes out with Oscar Marchant, Rose goes out with Louis Earl."

Iakona nodded her head, "and then Evelyn goes out with Brandon Dawson," Iakona gave a small smile.

"I swear Frances had a thing with Brandon," Nicole looked at Iakona her mouth agape.

"Yeah briefly, Brandon was basically using Frances to get to Evelyn," Iakona gave Nicole a sad smile.

"That's lower than low," Ophelia shook her head.

"Anyways enough about boyfriends," Dove threw her arms in the air, "because if you were here this time last year our boyfriends would be swarming in and out."

Nicole and Starr agreed whilst Ophelia glared at Dove.

"Luckily my boyfriend isn't into all that crap," Ophelia sighed, "but enough."

"No I want to know, who's your boyfriend?" Raine asked, "I swear you were dating Emory and you two were all over each other, until her got with Lyra of all people."

"Yeah, that was interesting," Ophelia chuckled to herself.

"Ophelia does this quite often, she avoids the question," Starr straightened her posture, "she goes out with Tom Riddle."

"Merlin's beard, you always get the cute ones," Iakona gave a fake pout.

"Pfft, I wouldn't say Tom was cute," Nicole laughed, "he scares the shit out of me, the way he stares about people, if a look could kill he would have murdered the entire school by now."

Ophelia closed her eyes and nodded in agreement, there was a small smile on her face after Nicole's comment on her ever so mysterious boyfriend.

Dove jumped up and looked outside the window, "there's Rune, Emory and Vincent!"

The group of girls looked out the window and saw the three boys on the platform, the boys couldn't see the six girls as the train came to a stop before it reached them.

"Do you mind if we share a carriage with you? I really don't want to hear more about boyfriends or get yelled at for leaving, and I'm sure as hell that Raine doesn't want to either," Iakona sighed.

"No problem, we understand," Starr smiled.

The girls were the last to leave their section of the train, walking out they were greeted by the three boys.

Dove and Rune hugged each other and had a brief peck on the lips before turning back to everyone.

"Professor," Nicole bowed her head towards Emory.

Emory seemed unfazed by it for once as he smiled back to Nicole.

"Everyone has called me professor as they've walked past and it's finally clicked," Emory shrugged.

"I told you it would," Vincent shrugged.

"Why is it always you last to leave?" Rune asked.

"We were talking about the other group of girls, which Twyla just so happens to be a part of now," Ophelia lifted her up as she shrugged.

"Explains why you're with Iakona and Raine," Vincent nodded his head.

"We should get up before the first years beat us," Emory said as he walked towards the carriages.

"And that leads me to bid you all a goodnight," Vincent saluted, "also if any of you need Herbology supplies I'll give you a discount, but only to the six of you, don't tell anyone else."

Raine looked at Iakona with a weird look, as though she was asking if he was being serious or not.

Iakona nodded her head, "he's always been like that."

As the group sat on the carriage, they waved goodbye to Vincent as it began to move.

"You ready for your first class on Monday?" Ophelia asked.

Emory shook his head, "it's with you lot and I don't know how I'm going to cope."

The girls rolled their eyes as they now Emory would do fine.

As the carriage came to a stop, they hoped off and walked through the main doors, heading up the stairs to the great hall.

When they entered they spilt their usual ways, Ophelia to the left over to the Slytherin table, Starr, Dove and Raine all the way to the right to the Hufflepuff table and, Nicole and Iakona to the right to the Gryffindor table.

Rune and Emory walked straight ahead down the middle towards the teachers table, they were greeted by Headmaster Dippet and Professor Dumbledore when they sat at the table.

Ophelia sat in-between Tom and Avery once she arrived at the table.

"Where on earth have you been?" Tom whispered as the hall went silent to welcome the new first years into the hall.

"I was with the group I walked in with," Ophelia whispered back.

"How's Emory feeling after being called professor by everyone?" Avery butted in with the whispering.

"He's actually fine with it," Ophelia looked up to where Emory was sat, she smiled to herself as knew he would be perfectly fine.

***

heyo, i've actually made a trailer for both this book and the second book (which i've currently wrote six chapters for) so let me know if you want to see them? idk it's up to you, their pretty shit ngl, but i'm proud of them.