Chapter Twenty-One: And Rune's Part Plays In

є∂ιтє∂

It was nine o'clock at night, Rune walked up the dark hill nearing his home, the idea to apparate from the train station to his house sounded ideal, but he didn't want to risk it with so many muggles coming out of every corner.

Rune's house was weird, the room's you would normally see in the downstairs part of the house was on the top, and the bedrooms were downstairs. To make things more complex, you have to walk up a flight of stairs onto the patio to enter the house, defeating the whole purpose.

And that's exactly where he saw the outline of his mother. Standing on the patio, her arms stretched out holding onto the railing as she had her head down looking at the floor. Rune couldn't see his mother's face, but he knew something was wrong. His heart sank into his chest as he rushed to her.

As he climbed the stairs, two maybe three at a time, he realised his mother was crying. Rune had never seen his mother cry, not once in his life. Today was a first, and he knew that the reason must have been serious.

He wrapped his arms around his mother. The comfort Rune gave her took her by shock, but as soon as she felt her son's arms wrapped around her she let go of the railing and lost all control of her body. She began to fall to the floor, taking Rune down with her.

Rune began to soothe her, humming a slow calm tune as he stroked his mother's hair. Rachel Lufkin was in an anguished state, she was crying hysterically in her son's lap, not daring to speak a word for the fear of her son's own personal and mental well-being.

As Rachel continued to sob into Rune's lap, he spoke up, "mam, what's wrong? Please tell me what's wrong."

Rachel shook her head and began to sob louder, "oh Rune, my precious boy! I cannot bear bring myself to tell you."

"Mam," Rune whispered, kissing the top of his mother's head, "come on, I've got you, tell me."

Rachel sat up and looked her son in his eyes. The look that she gave him caused Rune's heart to break just at the sight. He hadn't even been told the news but his eyes began to brim with tears. He knew himself something wasn't right, but couldn't pinpoint what.

"Rune, your father has been sent to Azkaban," Rune's mother cried, "for murder."

Rune went numb, his mind traced back to what Ophelia told him about her tarot cards, death and the eight of swords. Death being the murder, and the eight of swords being his father sent to Azkaban for a life's sentence.

"No. No. There is no way that dad would have killed anyone," Rune shook his head, his whole body was shaking, a various amount of different emotions ran all the way through his body; fear, anger, sadness, anticipation and shame.

Rachel cried louder than she had previously, "I didn't believe it either, your father protested it - swore to me that he didn't do it, but they found the spell in his wand. They found the Killing Curse."

Rune zoned out, he wasn't all there. He was in a trance; he didn't notice the words slip out of his mouth as he looked out onto the Aberystwyth horizon, "who was it?"

"Taliesin Maddox," Rachel spoke softly as she held her son's cheeks in between her two hands.

"Ophelia's uncle?" Rune looked at his mother.

Rune was choking back the tears. He was broken - afraid that Ophelia and Dove and the rest of his friends would never speak to him again, his father sent away to Azkaban for killing a dear friend's uncle. He curled himself up into a ball on the patio, the snow had kicked in and it was coming down heavy, but yet he didn't care. He laid there, on the patio curled into the ball as his mother rested her head upon him, the pair of them crying. He thought about how great his life was up until this point. He knew that his newly offered job would be taken away from him before he even started. His whole life was to change and he was to lose the people he cared about with the changes.