Chapter Sixteen: An Act of Selfishness and an Act of Selflessness

乇ᗪ丨ㄒ乇ᗪ

The great hall was now back to normal, students had gathered with their friends and joined each other for breakfast. The students all talked together one the same topic as every other house in the great hall; Tom Riddle and Ophelia Lockwood.

Tirion Driscoll walked up to the Ravenclaw table and placed herself next to Morgandy and the rest of the Ravenclaw Quidditch team.

"Are you lost?" Abner asked taking a bite out of his apple, earning laughs from Caspian and Louis Earl.

"Don't be so rude, Abner, she's Ophelia's cousin," Morgandy said reverting her attention to the small blonde fourth year.

"How many cousins does she have?" Abner looked shocked.

"Three," Tirion spat, "anyways, is it true about Ophelia and Tom Riddle? Loads of sixth and seventh years were telling the lower years about it back in the common room, I couldn't find you there so I came straight here."

Morgandy rushed to get her words out, "I-uh, no, they're not dating, they just went to the Ball as friends, but as you can see no one can keep their mouths shut about it, it's not that big of a deal."

"Not that big of a deal? Really Morgandy, people are saying horrible stuff about her and how she moved on from one boy to another really quick, yet they all praise Emory now that he and Lyra are official," Tirion had tears brimming in her eyes, they were filled with worry for her older cousin that she saw as a mother figure.

"What do you mean Lyra and Emory are official?" Twyla moved up to the group.

"Did you not hear? Emory asked her out last night. Look here they come now," Tirion pointed to the new happy couple as they held hands and smiled as they walked down the middle of the two tables.

Emory held out his hand for Lyra as helped her sit down next to Avalon, he whispered something into her ear and left the two giggling girls as he walked up to the Gryffindor Quidditch players who were placed at the end of the Gryffindor table, the group of players cheered their captain as he arrived and sat beside them.

"Probably because he wants to make Ophelia jealous," Caspian let out, "he's fed up of being jealous of Tom."

"Emory is jealous?" Morgandy asked.

Caspian just nodded his head whilst the three girls started laughing.

Their laughter stopped when the whole hall went silent. All eyes were on Ophelia and Tom who had walked into the great hall alongside Orion, Avery and Malfoy.

The five of them stood at the entrance of the hall as they felt all eyes on them, Tom was the first one to continue walking to the Slytherin table as he held Ophelia's hand pulling her along.

Morgandy and Ophelia locked eye contact with each other and Morgandy lifted her pinkie finger. Ophelia just simply nodded her head and smiled at her cousin who was sat in between Morgandy and Twyla.

The other three boys followed behind the pair with Tom and Ophelia's hand still tightly locked together.

As they walked past the Ravenclaw table the first years began to talk and soon the whole hall was back to talking about them again.

On the other side of the hall sat Dove and Rune who instead focused their attention on the Quidditch match later on that day and not wanting to gossip about their friend.

"I've got a bet with Daxten that Ravenclaw will win," Rune said as he looked over to Daxten, "but he insists that Gryffindor will win yet again."

"Then why did you bet for Ravenclaw?" Dove asked.