Chapter 3 - Curiosity

The cream, pale colored ceiling was darkened by the mocking, gloomy night sky. No stars shined, no constellations were gleaming, only dark storm clouds were overhead.

   I sat, alone, on the bed in my room, staring straight into nothing; my eyes boring holes into the baby blue wall adjacent to me. My body is stiff, I've been sitting like this for the past three hours, after the meal I had David came in and talked to me, giving me empty promises about our relationship.

   Visiting hours were long gone but I still heard people that weren't doctors speak, outside my doors. Thought their conversations were muffled, I figured out that the two who were standing outside my door were Will and Jo-Je, talking about some unknown subject.

   But I didn't care, I seemed to never care now days.

   As I sat in this room, practically rotting away, I did nothing but breathe in and exhale the thick winter air. Every time someone came in, I would shoo them away, even if it was a doctor. I wasn't in any mood to talk to anyone, nor see anyone.

   I don't know what has come over me, but I don't like it. It feels as if I'm a ticking time bond ready to explode at any given second of the day. Today was the first time I've been awake for five days, and yet everything still seemed the same.

   Nothing changed. Everything was the same. Keith was still in the hospital and Walker was still out there doing his work.

   Every once in a while I would wish for him to find me again so that he could just do whatever it was that he wanted to do to me so that this whole thing could be over, so I don't have to see him again. So I don't have to see any of them again.

   I'm sick of the lies that people keep feeding to me. I'm sick and tired of seeing my fake name posted everywhere on social media stating false facts about me that never even happened. Like the lies that I'm a murderer, nine months later and yet they still keep accusing me of killing Brett though there is no proof of it, well...besides that stupid manipulated footage that I assume Caitlyn got her hands on and changed it for her father.

   The thing I still am shocked about is that Caitlyn is Keith's step sister. It's weird to think about, that for two years, they lived under the same roof together and had no idea that they shared the same father, DNA, and home together. It was strange to think about.

   The silence of the room is intimidating, and I don't like it. The one time I actually want to talk to someone, no one is there. The one time I was to see someone, there's nothing. No one because of me, i drove them all away because I refused to speak let alone look them in the eyes.

   Sick of sitting, I swing my pale legs over the side of the thin hospital bed, they dangled over the side, close to hitting the icy tiled floor.

   I take out the IV and place it on the bed, I don't need it anymore as I feel the exact same way I did before I was forcefully put here. With one push from my arms, the souls of my feet hit the ground and immediate chills rush through my veins, causing my pain receptors to over react into spasms that make goosebumps cover the entire surface of both of my legs.  

   I try again, and this time planting my feet firmly on the ground, they were there to stay for once. I bit my lip, holding back the whimpers of agony from my sore muscles that haven't been used in over 120 hours. Though it seemed like years to me.

   I stand completely up, my rigid back now straight. I stretch my legs before striding toward the door that was hidden behind a wall that stuck out from the structure of the actual square room. I was about half way there when my body was tugged back, by a thick black cord.

  The heart monitor cord. I almost forgot about it, well...I did forget about it actually. I paced to the beeping machine and pressed the off  button, so that when I remove it from my body, it doesn't erupt into a fit of blaring warning sirens.

  I was surprised when the IV didn't do that, they must have it set not to do that so it doesn't disturb the neighboring patients if it was happened to be removed, in my case now. Once I knew it was off and safe, I removed the cord from my cold body.

My legs made their way back tot he door once again, the metal knob was freezing, no surprise there. I yanked on the handle, turning it and pulling, but it didn't budge. Not a little bit, but on my third try, it opened, a rush of warm air filling the vacant room and my body soaked up the pleasure.

I peered around the threshold and into the voided hallway, only to see nothing. No one was walking around, the sky lights in the hallways were dimly lit and no doctors were bustling about as they were this morning and afternoon. The night crew was nowhere to be seen and it seemed to be only me.

It seemed as if I was the only person in the world, like I was in my very own episode of the Twilight Zone.

There was only three other doors scattered along the hallway, all closed shut. There was a dead end to my right and to my left, there was more exposure to hallways that seemed never ending, which was exactly what I was looking for.

Taking slow and steady steps, I stride out of the lonely threshold and I tot he open space, getting closer to the exit of the dead ended hall.

There was two ways to go from there, left or straight. But I decided to keep going straight, so I wouldn't end up getting hopelessly lost in this castle like building. The hallway continued for what seemed like another mile, leading into lobbies and most likely the cafeteria.

I don't know where I'm going, but I don't care either. My bare feet led me through the building, not stopping, but when I came across a familiar room they stopped. The door is cracked open a bit.

My mind left me curious and of course, knowing me, I couldn't just leave it how it was. The room looked almost identical to my own, except the walls. They were painted a light shade of cream yellow, it reminded me of old wallpaper.

The window that was carved into the wall was open, the curtains not covering the glass. Bushes were growing upward and were seen slightly from the bottom of the window, new buds growing on each individual stem.

I pushed the door open a bit more, enough so my slender body could fit through the particular gap. I didn't care if there was a patient in here, nor did I care if they were awake. If they were, great because now they got company, if they aren't...then hopefully they'll wake with the amount of noise I'm making.

I'm not purposely doing it though, its my bare feet. Each time I move, they come in contact with the while tiles and make a sticky clapping sound, not my fault that they're sweaty.

I pad around the corner slowly, almost tip-toeing, exiting out of the small private entry way only to be faced with the person I wanted to see the least, and he was awake.

I was face to face with him, his eyes lighting up in pure happiness.

"Jay."

"Keith," it came out with no emotion, no nothing, its just a name.

A name that's fake to cover up the past,

A fake name to cover up lies.

Lies that have caused me pain in the worst possible way: a broken heart.

__________

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

HAPPY READING!

~AlexisJadeS22