Chapter 9 - Encounter

It felt like Deja Vu. The last time I was in the back seat of a car was when...he died. When my life went out of control. That day when I was heading to retrieve Jay, was also the day I would loose yet another crucial person in my life: Adam.

The car ride was silent for the most part, besides the slight conversations here and there between Will and Thomas and occasionally me, but that was it. Will would ask me questions and Thomas would too, t helped sort of to get to know him a little bit more, since I only have spoken like ten words to him before this in our entire time of knowing each other.

It wasn't long until we were pulling into the familiar parking lot of the familiar tall buildings, full of balconies and parked cars, just waiting to be used yet again by their owners. Heat streaks were rising from the distant black pavement.

But that wasn't the only thing that fought my eye in that moment, it was the sudden reaction from Thomas and Will to something outside, more rather a someone.

"What's he doing here?!" Thomas sounded outraged, his tone waited with anger and confusion.

"I don't know, let's see what the heck he want's when we park, okay? Let's not start any trouble." Will states.

"Who is it?" I ask, oblivious to who it is.

"Bennett," they say in sync to one another.

My blood runs cold and a certain vexation builds up inside of me to the mention of his name. The one who has hurt Jay more than ever anticipated. The one who has caused Jay to hurt and has caused her to have bruises and scars mentally and physically.

"Keith, calm down. please, don't punch the crap out of him when you get out. For our sake, please." Will begs. I have to fight the urge to say 'no', but I find it in me to say 'yes'.

"Thank you now when we get out-" his voice falls silent when I jump out of the car and slam the door, ignoring whatever lecture he was about to give me because quite frankly, I seriously don't care, all what I care about is knowing why Bennett is here and finding out what he wants.

Bennett was standing casually by his car, his friend - Jordan I think his name was - and a couple others standing by or around him and his car, talking. It is so hard fighting the urge to not fight or bicker with these worthless sophomores.

So hard.

Will and Thomas where quick to fall in step besides me, charging toward them.

"Oh hey-"

Slap.

"Keith!" Will shouts, grabbing hold of my forearm, halting me from doing any further damage to his jaw. "What did I tell you? Don't start trouble."

I harshly rip my arm free from his grasp and glance over at a crouching Bennett, spitting out blood and clutching his jaw.

"Okay," he started, standing up once again so that we were at eye level, well somewhat eye level - he was shorter than me, by quite a bit, but yet again...isn't everyone? "That was uncalled for. All what I wanted to do was apologize."

"Liar. You were just looking to start something, like you always are, you pathetic piece of-"

"Keith," Thomas shot me a warning glare, telling me to calm down or else...

I don't know what.

I whip my attention back to Bennett, who is starring at me with an unreadable expression. I can't help but snarl at him, he's really nothing more than dirt under my shoe, no room for negotiation.

"Why did you really come here?" Thomas questions.

"Told you already, to apologize."

"Bull, why did you really-"

"He's telling the truth!" Jordan cut in, his tone decisively set toward the topic.

"You have no room to talk, stay out of it." I spat toward him.

Before Jordan can react or come at me out of rage, he's stopped by another guy taking hold of the collar of his shirt, halting him in his step.

When I stay silent, Will finally speaks up again.

"What do you want to apologize for?"

Is he coy?

"I wanted to apologize for everything I did to Jay, though I thought she'd be here with you-"

"She's not," I cut in, "she's still at the hospital, still recovering from her coma." I snap. Bennett's expression changes from cool and collected to shocked and pure hysteria.

"A coma?"

"Yeah, don't act like you care, because I know you don't"

"How about you stop making assumptions of things before you her the full story, yeah?" Jordan steps up and snaps at me, adding to the already hard urge not to knock out his teeth for opening up his mouth one too many times for my liking.

"I actually do care Keith." Bennett states.

"Sure you do."

"I do!" Bennett protests to my comment.

"Okay fine, whatever," I let out a frustrated sigh, a question itching at the back of my mind all of a sudden. "Why did you do what you did to Jay in the first place?" I ask, speaking my thoughts.

This caught Bennett off guard for a reason I don't know why, but he seemed conflicted. "I-I don't know." was his only answer.

"Yes you do." Thomas says from beside me, clear dissension present in his husk tone.

Bennett lets out a sigh of defeat, "fine, I did it because she seemed like an easy target. When she first stepped foot in her first period class she had with me, I knew she was vulnerable. She looked so broken and I don't know what came over me then, but I had the sudden urge to I guess find out what happened, but I ended up hurting her more. I seriously don't know what came over me those days I'd torment her and hurt her. I'm such an idiot and a jerk, I don't know if I'll ever forgive myself for what I did. I'm most likely on Jay's 'Most Hated' list, if I'm not already."

My heart pangs in my chest at his words.

"She looked so broken"

And it was all because of me, leaving.

But something else I guess kind of surprised me, some small sliver piece of my heart actually believed him.

I Keith Parker actually believes Bennett James and his words.

I believe him when he says that he will never forgive himself.

I actually believe him every little bit.

__________

Hey! So what do you think of this chapter? Is it good? What do you think of Bennett and his apologies, do you believe him, or do you think he's full of it?

Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoy!

HAPPY READING!

~AlexisJadeS22

😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉