Chapter 16 - "It's Called Reflexes"

I awoke to a sudden rush of heat and warmth as I casually open my eyes, revealing the dark room with rays of sunlight flooding in from the closed blind cracks. Keith's arm was draped around me protectively. He looked so calm, peaceful, vulnerable, he looked the way I'm sure we all look like when we sleep. His breathing was steady as was mine now that I was able to calm down and get some shut eye fro when I woke up screaming hysterically because of that...nightmare.

I'm just glad it was only a dream - a bad one - and just that, nothing more. If it were to be real, I don't know what I would do. It made so much discomfort and fear build up inside me when I risked a glance to Jo-Je's body lying limp in the dream, and I wished that I hadn't, but the brain already had it all planned from the beginning I guess.

Beside me, Keith started to move, rolling over and pulling me with him. I quickly glance over at the clock that was set up on the desk adjacent to the bed which read 4:00 AM. I decided to go back to sleep, because there seemed like there was no way to escape Keith's hold without him noticing...

So it looks like I'm here to stay.

***

The wood floors made my feet prickle with a certain coldness when I stride along them to make my way to the kitchen. It was now 5:35 AM, exactly and hour and thirty-five minutes after I woke up this morning. Though it felt like seven hours, time just seems to fly by so slow for me...I don't know why.

   I was alone in the still apartment besides Keith, who's getting ready. Will told us an essay yesterday on how he was going to stay at Owen's place so that Keith and i could have some alone time, and I get it. I just thought it was funny how he told us a never ending list of reasons why he's going. I swear, he wont stop until the person he's talking to gets him...it's hilarious. I just wonder who he gets it from, his mother or father?

   I've wondered the same question about myself very much, though I don't - and never will - know my real parents, I can't help but wonder what they were like. Were they wild and care free? Or were they strict and serious? That's the thing - being someone like me - you don't know your origin, your family, cushions, aunts, uncles, you don't know any of it.

   I'm jarred out of my thoughts when Keith plants a lingering kiss on my temple, whispering 'good morning' softly into my ear. I blush a little, feeling the heat rise from my cheeks, then tell him the same as he makes his way over to the refrigerator and grabs an assortment of fruit I don't remember buying out from one of the shelfs.

   I continue on making my coffee, my morning boost of caffeine or energy you might say. Keith slides into an empty breakfast nook chair and carefully removes the lid from the assortment of colorful fruits full of value that stand out in this plain room so much. 

  I watch him as he plops a grape into his mouth, chewing then swallowing, he stops mid action when he was about to do it again when he realized my staring.

  "Would you like some?"

   It's funny, because I remember him asking me the same thing all those months ago before we ran away...that night I couldn't fall asleep and was restless; the night I heard him talking to Brett...who's dead...because of...me. I abandoned the thought and return to reality, focusing my attention on Keith who's holding a slim strawberry slice pinched in between his thumb and index finger, it looks as if he's gonna throw it.

   "Open your mouth."

   "Why?"

   "Because, I want to see if you can catch it," he answers my questions from before and he lets out a chuckle, one that makes me feel warm and like jello.

   "Okay, fine I guess," I let out a sigh of mock defeat, sarcasm heavy in my tone. I do as I'm told, opening my mouth and preparing to catch the sliver of strawberry in my mouth, though I prefer watermelon, it's too late now as he throws in in the air toward me, the airborne slice making it perfectly onto my tongue and into my mouth. The sudden rush of my tastebuds exploding due to the extravagant bomb of flavor that just erupted in my mouth.  

   I scrunch up my face to the sudden burst of sweet and bitterness in just one small piece of fruit. Keith laughs immediately when he see's my expression, and tries hard to stop but fails miserably. Out of my mock rage, I race to the bowl of resting fruit and grab a piece of cantaloupe and thrust it toward his face, I'm caught off guard when he catches it clearly and perfectly in his teeth. I stare at him astonished.

  "It's called reflexes." He jokes.

  "Yeah, I know."

__________

   Hey there! I hoped you enjoyed this quick chapter of just Jay and Keith, it's just something slow and quick I decided to put together because the upcoming events are gonna be really sad and crazy, so I just wanted something calm and happy for you to read. Anyway, I hope that you liked it and make sure to show your support by commenting what you liked and voting! Thank you so much!😘

   HAPPY READING

~AlexisJadeS22