Chapter 40 - Right Here, Right Now

Jay's POV

It's been three hours.

Three hours and still no word, I know it's a long drive, but I can't help but worry. What if something happened? What if one of them went missing? What if Walker found them? I pace the kitchen floor, going back and forth while Jo-Je, David, and Eli watch me patently.

"Jay, honey, don't worry they're coming back," Jo-Je comes around the corner and stops me from moving, I stare at the ground, my hair hiding my face.

"What if they're not?" I mutter.

"They will, I know they will. They're all so smart, I'm sure that they're alright. Trust me," she wraps her warm arms around me, pulling into a tight embrace, resting my head on her shoulder, I let out a long breath of relief.

"Look! There they are!"

I lift my head instantly, gazing out the window, the same window that started this journey, and there they were. The black van driving up the gravel path, kicking up dust. It pulls up and stops, Jordan jumping out of the driver's seat.

I run to the door, pulling it open and running out, not caring that I'm barefoot. The back door's swing open and Bennett jumps out first, following Thomas, Owen, Will, and an unfamiliar person. I squint my eyes, peering at the figure as they come into the rising sunlight. Their figures are nothing but silhouettes in the dim light. They make their way towards us, taking off their shades with huge smiles plastered on their faces.

   "We did it!" Will shouts with overflowing enthusiasm and happiness.

   Keith jumps out of the back of the van, and makes his way towards us. I run towards him and he wraps his arms around my waist, lifting my small figure up and embracing me tightly in his arms.

   "You did it," I whisper into his ear.

  "Yes, and now we can finally be free and be the people we wanna be," I pull away, his eyes glinting, looking blissful.

  "Thank you,"

  "For what?"

  "Risking your life and saving us," I say, hugging him again. We stay like this for a while, not letting go until he puts me down on the ground.

   He thrusts his hand up in the air, "we did it!" He shouts and we all shout, including me. We shout out loud, our voices echoing and growing louder.

   My body washes over with the sudden feeling of content. Content for the fact that I can finally have the live I want to have. I can finally be who I want to be without constantly running and being accused of things I never did.

   I can finally be known as the real person I am, Scarlett Davis. I'm finally going to be able to know who I am without lies being told to me.

  "Everyone, I would like you to meet Henry, he was one of the test subjects with me when I was at the compound," Keith motions a hand towards a man with piercing emerald green eyes and dirty blonde hair...like mine.

  I stare at him, scrutinizing his face. He looks like someone...like me. His eyes meet mine and I don't look away, I keep my gaze where it is, refusing to look away.

   Henry walks over to me, stoping two feet before me.

   "Camden, who's this?" Henry questions, I can tell he's curious as I am too.

   He's so familiar. But I can't put a finger on it.

  "Henry, this is Scarlett, my girlfriend,"

  Henry's eyes go wide.

  "Scarlett..."

"Henry, what is your last name?" Keith suddenly asks.

  "Davis..."

  It all comes rushing back. Henry Davis.

   The man I believed to be be dead. The one who wasn't sober and ended up in the gutter, dying with me in the back seat.

   It was all a lie.

  He's alive.

  "Scarlett," Henry whispers, caressing my cheek with his rough and calloused hand, I'm caught off guard when I'm taken into his arms.

  "I-I thought you were dead, along with mom."

  "No, I'm here now, I can't believe it's you-your so...grown up. You look just like your mother, Scarlett, I've missed you so much."

  "I have to daddy," I embrace him, not letting go of the man I thought was long gone. The sudden euphoria taking over my body as all of this starts to sink in.

  My father's alive.

  My family is alive, the family I was tricked to believe was dead.

  All thanks to Keith, I have him, and now I can learn about my past and be the person I was made to be.

All because of Keith, I have my father.

All because of Keith, I have the life I've been looking for.

And it all starts right here, right now.

_____________