Chapter 8 - The One Place I Call Home

Keith's POV

    "The two weeks for the healing process are up and you're free to go when the casts are off in the next few hours."

   I nod, not really knowing what else to say and not really wanting to talk after the scenario that played out last night, (me telling Jay about telling Walker about her location, and her telling me that I should have lied...and all that).

   After she had left, I beat myself up for being so stupid, I should have lied, but then that would have put Sandra at risk and I can't do that...at least not when only knew her for only half a year. But still, no matter what, I will not let Walker take anyone I love anymore, he's done one too many times, and I'm sick of him and his Shadow Men followings me every I go.

  The sudden movement of someone taking hold of my hand brought me back to the real reality. My eyes flicker over to the figure standing beside me, peering down at me with wondering eyes imbedded with sympathy.

   Jo-Je.

   "Well?"

   "Well what?" I say, dumbfoundingly.

    "Did you hear my question?"

   I shake my head, "No."

   She lets out a sigh and the corners of her mouth turn down into a frown, "I said, do you want to go home after they cut of these," she points to my leg and arm that are wrapped up in piercing bright white material.

   "I-um, not really," I stutter.

    "Why not?"

   "Because, it will bring back memories of...you know who."

   Jo-Je nods her head to show she understands, "Alright, where do you want to go?"

   "Will's apartment."

   "Okay, I'll have him drive you there. He's out in the lobby waiting for us, so I'll just tell him and you'll be on your way-" she pivots on her foot and starts to stride toward the door.

  "Wait,"

  "What?"

   "What about Jay?"

   her mouth curves into an 'O' shape and her gaze drifts from me to the tiled floor. "The doctors told me this morning that they have to keep her an extra week so that they can determine if there's any further malfunctions with her brain or anything else, just to be safe."

   "Will you be here for her?"

   "Keith, you don't have to worry, I'll be here and so will David. We will take care of her and keep her company," she sends me a week smile.

   "Are you s-"

   "Yes, Keith. She will be fine-"

   "Promise?" I interrupt again.

   "Promise," with one last reassuring smile, she walks out of the room, leaving me to ponder in my own thoughts of randomness and jumbled emotions about everything from Walker to Liam to Jay.

   ***

   "Alright, you're free to go!" The doctor exclaims in a rather excited tone, patting my back and helping me into an upright position before I stand on my own two feet again after six or seven weeks of healing from all the damage from the car crash.

  "Slow and steady now, we don't want you to be in pain then further damage something," Dr. Goldstein informs.

  I nod, taking hold of of his arm and getting enough momentum to swing my legs over the side of the mattress. They graze the tile and I flinch at the sudden burst of cold, but I try again and stand completely up, my muscles weak from not being used for a month.

  "You got it?"

  "I think so," I reply, not really sure if I'm gonna be able to walk on my own quite yet.

   "That's alright, I'll walk you to the door."

   "Thanks."

   "No problem," Dr. Goldstein beams while taking hold of the steel door handle and twisting it, making the door come free from the lock, the hinges squeaking, making me cringe. Just then, Jo-Je came into view with something in her hands.

  "Here, brought you some fresh clothes to wear home instead of that hospital gown or anything else," she states while handing over the stack of clean clothes.

   "Thank you."

   "Yup! Now go change so you and Will can leave this place." Jo-Je urges.

   "Okay."

***

   I come out of the hospital room yet again with a clean striped blue and white shirt with dark denim jeans. Will was standing, talking with someone I didn't recognize, but until that person turned around, my mind immediately knew who it was.

   Thomas.

   The person I remember meeting at the dance that Friday night, when everything went bad and I found that note from Walker in Jay's locker full of unwanted hate letters from stupid teenagers that have nothing better to do than hate on others just for their own entertainment and pleasure.

   The whole thing just makes me want to explode and it makes me want to take out my hatred on everyone. I've already done it on Bennett, but the rest of the people who hurt Jay haven't gotten what they deserve yet.

   I stride over to where Will and Thomas are standing, arms crossed over their chests, talking quietly about something unknown to me and my questioned mind. Will cuts the conversation off when his flickering eyes land on me approaching him and Thomas.

   "Hey, it's good to see you. Ready to go?"

   "Yeah," I state bluntly.

   He nods and starts walking off towards the doors to the outside world I haven't seen in weeks, "follow me."

   I do as I'm told, following close behind, stepping out of the building and out into the glazing sunshine and cloudless skies.

   It feels good to be back out here again, away from all the beeping machines and uncomfortable and sleepless nights.

  Away from all the pain and misery.

   Now, going back to the one place I've been longing to go to for ever.

   The place I call home,

   Jay's apartment.

-________

Hope you enjoyed this chapter! If you did, please vote and once again, I'm so sorry that I didn't update and left you hanging, like I said before, updates should resume back to normal here over this next week!

  HAPPY READING

~AlexisJadeS22

  ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️